And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did English survive?

Started by Queequeg, December 27, 2013, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I only know an Occitan, she's rather hot though  <_<

Queequeg

I find that fascinating.  You'd have more in common linguistically with an inhabitant of the Italian Alps than an inhabitant of Aragon.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Repressed French minorities are the hottest.  Hottest friend I had in College was a Breton exchange student.  :wub:
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Repressed French minorities are the hottest.  Hottest friend I had in College was a Breton exchange student.  :wub:

You have the weirdest turn-ons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

She was really, really hot.  The weird accent certainly helped, but she was objectively stunning. 

Admiral Yi

I think you just have a thing for ethnic obscurity.  To wit, your previously stated adoration of Caucasians.

If you ever met a Romansche speaker you'd probably spontaneously combust.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2014, 03:48:22 PM
I think you just have a thing for ethnic obscurity.  To wit, your previously stated adoration of Caucasians.

This.

Queequeg, you've gone through a variety of incarnations during your time with us - which is a good thing.  Personal growth and development is a positive.

But the one, single constant during that time has been an obsession, even fetishization, for obscure linguistic and/or cultural minorities.  Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

I think that's part of it, but you're likely all confusing cause and effect.  These just happen to be two beautiful women I met in college, and  I was more likely to talk to them and remember them, and subsequently remark about them, because of their ethnic origins.  With one, knowing chouchen and quite a bit about France and Brittany was a huge icebreaker, and with the other I actually interviewed her for an ethnographic project. I can guarantee that any poster here would consider them both to be attractive, though frankly I'm not comfortable sharing their likenesses over a message board. 

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2014, 03:48:22 PM
If you ever met a Romansche speaker you'd probably spontaneously combust.
"Is that...is that a Zaza accent?
"Yes!  How did you know!"
*dies*

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 03:56:11 PM
I think that's part of it, but you're likely all confusing cause and effect.  These just happen to be two beautiful women I met in college, and  I was more likely to talk to them and remember them, and subsequently remark about them, because of their ethnic origins. I can guarantee that any poster here would consider them both to be attractive, though frankly I'm not comfortable sharing their likenesses over a message board.

So you've generalized about ethnic groups based on sample sizes of one.  Not buying it.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 03:56:11 PM
I think that's part of it, but you're likely all confusing cause and effect.  These just happen to be two beautiful women I met in college, and  I was more likely to talk to them and remember them, and subsequently remark about them, because of their ethnic origins. I can guarantee that any poster here would consider them both to be attractive, though frankly I'm not comfortable sharing their likenesses over a message board. 

Whatever dude.  You are constantly remarking on the hotness of various obscure ethnic groups.

I met a super hottie in College who was Ukrainian.  I was totally in lust.  But I don't go around with some Slavic obsession. 

Nothing wrong with it, it is just funny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

I didn't say anything about Bretons being abnormally attractive.  It might be true; I think the French are generally an attractive lot, but then again I'm not sure I'd consider the Welsh or Cornish people I've met to be paragons of beauty.  In the case of North Caucasians I've interacted with and read enough about them to know that they're generally considered an attractive people, and my anecdotal evidence and personal biases lean in this direction.

EDIT: There's a fucking Wikipedia article on it.

celedhring

I was enjoying the attention, don't tell me he does that with all cultural minorities. Makes me feel less special.  :(

Queequeg

Marry an Armenian. Best way to secure perma-fetish status.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 04:04:01 PM
I didn't say anything about Bretons being abnormally attractive.

QuoteRepressed French minorities are the hottest.  Hottest friend I had in College was a Breton exchange student.  :wub: