News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: chipwich on December 06, 2013, 09:41:28 PM
I'm not savvy to the arguments about Mandela being evil. How do you respond to the AIDS thing?

I never read or heard anything about Mandela and AIDS.  I think the knock on him, to the extent there is one at all, is that he didn't speak out against his bonehead successor's beliefs and policies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 07, 2013, 09:24:28 AM
It's sociable not to heap invective on the recently deceased.  Just accept it Raz, it's one of those facets of human behavior that you don't understand.

Seems okay thing to do on Languish, if it wasn't Tuna my still be here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 07, 2013, 04:47:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2013, 03:02:16 AM
Many Conservative politicians in this country opposed Mandela's efforts and called him a terrorist back in the 1980's.

How Mandela was viewed by the GOP in the 80s has little to do with how he's viewed by Languish in 2013.

I think he's saying Languish in 2013 is full of GOP leaders from the 80s. 

I'm Pierre DuPont.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2013, 07:27:48 PM
Many Conservative politicians in this country opposed Mandela's efforts and called him a terrorist back in the 1980's.

How Mandela was viewed by the GOP in the 80s has little to do with how he's viewed by Languish in 2013.

I'm Pierre DuPont.

I'm Bob Dole.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2013, 07:27:48 PM

I'm Pierre DuPont.

Think harder Derspeiss.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

Just think about this, Raz.  Mandela allowed people to change, to take what they were saying at the present as the truth.  He allowed people to change, to repudiate their actions as long as they lived up to their new words.  He obviously had hard feelings and pain, he obviously had anger and resentment, but he allowed people to change.

We have all been asses, we have all sponsored causes that proved to be idiotic.  Some of us have even backed such things as regimes that were evil and awful.  Still, it is important to allow humans to own up to their mistakes and use that to become better.

I am sure there are those on this board who 20 years ago did not think Mandela would be an ANC terrorist again (though most are too young to really remember), but given what he did after that those people have said that he ended up immensely important.

Or, in other words, give it a rest.  Even those whom you might imagine as his enemies have said they respect the man.

(don't bother to reply to this.  I won't engage you in a pseudo debate)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

I fully expect Fidel Castro to get some love around here as well when he passes away, PDH.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2013, 10:18:35 PM
I fully expect Fidel Castro to get some love around here as well when he passes away, PDH.

Aren't there some here that do that already? We already have/had the Chavez supporters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Chavez is a douche.  El Caballo is a horse of a different color.  Chavez isn't fit to carry Castro's combat boots.

Razgovory

We'll find he was actually a conservative fighting against the liberals Kennedy and Batista.

Eddie Teach

Josephus will be mourning the loss of his American-free vacation spot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2013, 10:23:46 PM

We'll find he was actually a conservative fighting against the liberals Kennedy and Batista.

Can you really not tell the difference between Languish and the right-wing news sites that you and Hans frequent?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Since it's immaterial, I really don't care.

Admiral Yi

As a point of fact, Batista was a liberal.

11B4V

Castro was a cunt, as was his henchmen Guevara.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".