Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2013, 08:43:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 11, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
Except for Carter. What a buzzkill.

James Earl Carter, Jr knows you hate him, and he hates you right the fuck back.

Didnt know you were a fan of Jimmy-C
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I doubt it.  That would be un-Christian.

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2013, 08:39:34 PM
Yeah. I get the impression most British ex-Prime Ministers don't really get on. I can't imagine Brown and Cameron are friendly, I think Major hated Thatcher who was also loathed by Heath. I doubt Blair and Brown are even civil, though I imagine Blair will always try to keep in touch with whoever's in power. Major and Cameron get on very well though.

Sounds like they take themselves to seriously.
Well Heath hated Thatcher for taking the leadership from him and because he was generally a pretty unpleasant with a mean misogynist streak - no one liked Heath. Major disliked Thatcher because she was the sort of Queen over the water for all sorts of revolts that made his time in office so torrid. There's the TB-GBs for Blair and Brown, and I always got the sense Brown and Cameron personally loathed each other.

I'm not sure if it's taking themselves seriously or just that politics in the UK, I think, is often a lot more personal and intimate. In almost all cases they beat each other either within their parties or at an election. They would have fought and argued on a regular basis either over the Commons or within government. And there's none of them who get the dignity of being head of state. So I think it lingers longer.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2013, 08:39:34 PM
Yeah. I get the impression most British ex-Prime Ministers don't really get on. I can't imagine Brown and Cameron are friendly, I think Major hated Thatcher who was also loathed by Heath. I doubt Blair and Brown are even civil, though I imagine Blair will always try to keep in touch with whoever's in power. Major and Cameron get on very well though.

Sounds like they take themselves to seriously.

I think with President they generally succeed each other in a timetabled way, and few ever directly compete with each other in presidential races or other elections.

Whereas over here, it's about maintaining a working majority in parliament and control of your party, so at any time a PM can be loose a vote and perhaps eventually have to fight a losing election against the person who'll become both the successor and victor over them.

Plus of course there's all the options for continued infighting within a party and the risk of being deposed by the person who goes onto succeed you.

So I imagine that can explain much of the general lack of warmth between former UK prime ministers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2013, 08:53:02 PM
Plus of course there's all the options for continued infighting within a party and the risk of being deposed by the person who goes onto succeed you.
And some PMs (like Thatcher) retain a cult following within their party which they kind of use to wreak havoc on their successors.

Sometimes there's just huge personality differences too. The story MacMillan used to tell of when he spoke to Maggie and said being Prime Minister's great because you don't have your own department to worry about, so you can spend more time reading and she stared at him like he'd spouted a new head :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2013, 08:53:02 PM
I think with President they generally succeed each other in a timetabled way, and few ever directly compete with each other in presidential races or other elections.

Whereas over here, it's about maintaining a working majority in parliament and control of your party, so at any time a PM can be loose a vote and perhaps eventually have to fight a losing election against the person who'll become both the successor and victor over them.

So I imagine that can explain much of the general lack of warmth between former UK prime ministers.

Plus y'all can be a crabby, grumpy bunch.  :)

11B4V

I was always rather fond of watching Brit politics on C-span. Very entertaining.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2013, 08:58:37 PM
I was always rather fond of watching Brit politics on C-span. Very entertaining.
Yeah. So imagine being friendly if, like Major, you'd faced a baying mob of Labour MPs while Blair called you 'weak, weak, weak'. For example :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 08:57:36 PM
Plus y'all can be a crabby, grumpy bunch.  :)
I think we're quite friendly  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 11, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
Except for Carter. What a buzzkill.

No, it isn't just Monkeybutt.  I recall reading an article way back in the early days of the Clinton Presidency.  President Clinton and all the living ex-Presidents at the time (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, and Bush the Elder) all got along quite well away from the cameras except that none of them, including Clinton, liked Carter.  I wouldn't say that they hated him, or even disliked him, but from what the article said, MB's term pretty much fit how they felt about about him.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on December 11, 2013, 05:16:02 PM
Interpreter for deaf at Mandela memorial service was a fake, advocates for deaf say

It wasn't sign language.  It was the hand jive:

Merkel and Harper and Cameron
Doin' that hand jive just for fun
Jacob Zuma sent them all in a run
When he did the hand jive with his machine gun

Hand jive, hand jive, do that crazy hand jive

Lol  :lol:

Seriously though, this really is being flagrantly insulting to the deaf people of South Africa.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Carter's problem was that he was too smart and thought too much.  That is always a buzzkill.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

That problem disappeared about 10 years ago.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on December 11, 2013, 09:44:20 PM
Carter's problem was that he was too smart and thought too much.  That is always a buzzkill.

That and pussying around when Iran kidnapped our citizens.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 10:29:03 PM
Quote from: PDH on December 11, 2013, 09:44:20 PM

That and pussying around when Iran kidnapped our citizens.

As opposed to, say, pussying around when Iran blew up 241 US Marines.