News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Yes, and they called him a terrorist primarily because of his ideology.  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=799&dat=19900207&id=J3tPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vlEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5176,4007216  Here's a Op-Ed written by Buckley back in 1990 where he decries the idea of Majority rule.  He makes the bad joke of showing concern over minority rights in a country where the majority of it's citizens lacked political rights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Raz has some of the weirdest hangups sometimes. It's like he's not happy unless we're badmouthing Mandela.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2013, 09:15:02 PM
Raz has some of the weirdest hangups sometimes. It's like he's not happy unless we're badmouthing Mandela.

I disliking the rewriting of history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2013, 09:15:02 PM

It would appear we broke him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 07:16:16 PM
Yes, and they called him a terrorist primarily because of his ideology.  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=799&dat=19900207&id=J3tPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vlEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5176,4007216  Here's a Op-Ed written by Buckley back in 1990 where he decries the idea of Majority rule.  He makes the bad joke of showing concern over minority rights in a country where the majority of it's citizens lacked political rights.

QuoteI disliking the rewriting of history.

First, Mandela was called a terrorist primarily because the ANC had sometimes used terrorist tactics.   

Second, I still don't see the rewriting of history here.  I mentioned that the fears of most conservatives (and even some liberals) had as to how Mandela would govern once South Africa got majority rule.  We were wrong about that, and we respect and salute Mandela for proving us wrong.  Saying that we never had those fears or doubts about him would be rewriting history, but I don't see anyone on Languish doing that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on December 08, 2013, 06:20:51 PM
As someone pointed out earlier, terrorism is a tactic, not an ideology.  And yeah, lots of people thought that if the ANC took power, Mandela would become a 2-bit dictator like Mugabe or Amin (though not crazy like Amin).  And frankly, you were a fool if you didn't at least acknowledge that it was a possibility that he would rule as a dictator.  He proved his doubters wrong--he proved to be a better man than he could have been.  And now people, including many of those same doubters, are praising him for that.

I don't see that as re-writing history.

I think you have identified the issue exactly.  We do not praise Mandela today because what he did was expected.  He is universally praised (and I would say loved) because what he did was so exceptional and unexpected.

Liep

Mrs. Obama doesn't look happy with our PM. It's breaking news here that she got to sit next to Obama.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 09:16:13 PM
I disliking the rewriting of history.
Who's rewriting it?

Apartheid had lots of useful idiots in the West. We know this. But it's not a political point now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

This memorial's amazing. The crowd do not like Zuma :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2013, 10:18:35 PM
I fully expect Fidel Castro to get some love around here as well when he passes away, PDH.

What's your beef with Castro?! He ask for your help, you turn him down & then you get angry when he turns to the only other option.

Cry me a river.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

There's criticism in Austria that instead of the head of state they sent someone a few notches down (the head of the states' federal chamber). The president, in the meantime, is going to Germany instead, where he will hold a speech at a memorial for Willy Brandt's 100th birthday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2013, 08:30:41 AM
I fully expect Fidel Castro to get some love around here as well when he passes away, PDH.

What's your beef with Castro?! He ask for your help, you turn him down & then you get angry when he turns to the only other option.

Cry me a river.

Are you talking to me?

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 10, 2013, 10:18:57 AM

Cry me a river.

Are you talking to me?

Yes, you, as America.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Cry me a river.

IS this pseudo-history of your own making, or something you learned in school, or what?

If this kind of over-simplification and obfuscation of a complex truth is what passes for "history" in Quebec, that actually explains a lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk