Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Blame the land owning gits wanting their property values kept high.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on December 06, 2013, 05:11:01 AM
If you mean bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, those are the greatest design decisions ever considering how many people want to live in and around London, and just how utterly Brits are against buildings which rise above 2 meters.

I'm beginning to feel "un-British"; I believe our future lies in flats. :(

Quote from: Tamas on December 06, 2013, 05:11:01 AMAh, that should make the list! Instead of building big tall apartment buildings to house all the people who are now crammed up 6-strangers-per-house in tiny rooms some evil greedy fellow labelled a "bedroom" (think garbon`s place in New York), they keep sticking with these ground level houses, so they can have these "gardens" as they call the tiny pathetic strips of grass they have behind the buildings.

The concept of "Garden" as applied by the builders of modern housing estates is an abomination. :mad:

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

I think Tamas is going native, he's certainly complaining enough.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2013, 08:52:05 AM
I think Tamas is going native, he's certainly complaining enough.   :P

As I said at the start, my opinion on the country is way net positive. But writing about positive stuff is not fun. :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on December 06, 2013, 05:11:01 AMAh, that should make the list! Instead of building big tall apartment buildings to house all the people who are now crammed up 6-strangers-per-house in tiny rooms some evil greedy fellow labelled a "bedroom" (think garbon`s place in New York), they keep sticking with these ground level houses, so they can have these "gardens" as they call the tiny pathetic strips of grass they have behind the buildings.

A friend of mine called it the "pretend to live in the countryside while actually living in a city" syndrome.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2013, 10:12:30 AM

A friend of mine called it the "pretend to live in the countryside while actually living in a city" syndrome.

Yeah, but for me, maybe because I had a rural upbringing, the whole thing just makes the difference all the more glaring. I find myself more comfortable within a mountain of concrete when in a city, then a tiny garden/yard that has strict confines rising all around it.

But it is a matter of taste I guess.

The Larch

I think that it also helps that high rise appartment buildings apparently have some kind of social stigma in the UK.

Gups

People like to have a patch of land of their own they can sit in, grow vegetables in, play games etc.

High rising housing for a long time was social housing and it was dreadfully designed and badly built. It did have a stigma but that has dissipated over the last 10-20 years and there's a lot of high rise, top end housing being build now especially in London.

I personally could not go back to living in a flat.

Richard Hakluyt

I may have spent too much of my childhood and youth abroad, because I also have no idea why the British are so keen on having a pathetic so-called "garden" of minute size  :hmm:

Don't get me wrong, we had an acre when we lived in Suffolk and had some cracking games of family cricket and a couple of decent bonfires on Nov 5th; I loved having that land; but most/many British "gardens" are too small to be of any real use.

Admiral Yi

Tricky, you should introduce the marvelous new technology of "window planter" into your primitive land and we can split the profits.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 06, 2013, 04:19:22 PM
I may have spent too much of my childhood and youth abroad, because I also have no idea why the British are so keen on having a pathetic so-called "garden" of minute size  :hmm:

Don't get me wrong, we had an acre when we lived in Suffolk and had some cracking games of family cricket and a couple of decent bonfires on Nov 5th; I loved having that land; but most/many British "gardens" are too small to be of any real use.

In a word, Shed/s.  :contract:

Valmy

So they want a tiny garden just to stick a shed on it?  :hmm:

I figured that was all about the romanticization of the British pastoral lifestyle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2013, 05:48:13 PM
So they want a tiny garden just to stick a shed on it?  :hmm:

I figured that was all about the romanticization of the British pastoral lifestyle.

Marvellous things are invented or bodged together in them; Shedism is an English disease, Tricky probably didn't catch it, because he was off involved in building/dismantling an empire.  :bowler: 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers