Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Lack of curtains and carpeted bathrooms are, of course, important indicators in the class system. A carpeted bathroom is an indicator of working class origins, the upper echelons of that group, possibly even the lowest members of the middle class. Ordinarily, though, the owner of a house with a carpeted bathroom would also favour lots of curtains..........possibly even those nasty net curtains formerly so essential to the lives of the people living in the no-mans-land between the working and middle classes  :hmm:

Going without curtains is ridiculous of course; so is confined to the upper and upper-middle classes, bohemians and proletarian scum............it is the sort of thing that Boris Johnson would do because if we happened to see his naked body it would be our problem not his.

The Larch's experience of carpeted bathrooms anda lack of curtains can only be explained by a mixed marriage. His landlord and landlady must have come from widely differing social classes.

Gups

Not just a class indicator but an age one as well. Nobody under 50 of whatever class would put carpets in a bathroom these days. 

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Gups on December 05, 2013, 03:16:22 AM
Not just a class indicator but an age one as well. Nobody under 50 of whatever class would put carpets in a bathroom these days.

Yes, I'm sure that is part of it too.

The Larch

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on December 05, 2013, 03:16:22 AM

I would.

Carpets and warm feet - good.

Floor and cold feet - bad.

As I discovered when I moved from a house that had a non-carpeted bathroom to one that the previous owners had had carpeted.

I completely fail to understand the fuss here.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

It does sound lovely on the surface, though thinking deeper it seems a bit...moist.
Mats in a bathroom are a bit of a must though.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

A carpeted bathroom must be one of the most unhygienic things ever.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2013, 01:17:23 AM
I know a lot of people who put down mats.  I think that's gross too.

Actually, my bathroom's kind of nasty, but that's laziness, not setting up bacteria traps on purpose.

You realize that you can wash mats, right? :huh:

Do you just drip water everywhere?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Ugh. Carpentd bathrooms are hideous. Get underfloor heating, a radiator or a pair of slippers.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Wait. When we're talking "carpeted bathrooms" we're talking actual carpets and actual bathrooms?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on December 05, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
Wait. When we're talking "carpeted bathrooms" we're talking actual carpets and actual bathrooms?

No it's a euphemism for pubic hair.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2013, 08:13:28 AM
What about showers in bedrooms?

If you mean bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, those are the greatest design decisions ever considering how many people want to live in and around London, and just how utterly Brits are against buildings which rise above 2 meters.

Ah, that should make the list! Instead of building big tall apartment buildings to house all the people who are now crammed up 6-strangers-per-house in tiny rooms some evil greedy fellow labelled a "bedroom" (think garbon`s place in New York), they keep sticking with these ground level houses, so they can have these "gardens" as they call the tiny pathetic strips of grass they have behind the buildings.