Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I have been in the UK since the start of August, and I figured it might be mildly entertaining to rant about the oddities or non-Hungarian-like behaviour I have experienced.

Since these will grumblings and all, it is important to start with the disclaimer that I have been really enjoying my time in the country. A country that seems to be efficient with a better morale (than Hungary at least, in both cases), and it has especially made a big impression how if there is any reaction to my clueless foreigner stumblings, it is to become nicer/more patient with me. This is in stark contrast with, say, my Germany experiences.
So all in all, my life here (I don`t want to say integration so soon) has been going on much, much easier than I anticipated, British people in general truly rock,

BUT:

-"how are you" "how are you doing", plus casual quick conversation by cashiers and such: YOU DON`T REALLY CARE!!! STOP ASKING! I have seen some occasion of people dropping that casually and moving on without waiting for the answer. A Hungarian friend once tried dropping "Quite bad actually" as an answer to enjoy the confusion and meltdown which followed. :D
Hungarians are whiny and moody, being all cheerful and friendly all the time is EXHAUSTING

-"m8" see above. First time you have seen me was 2 seconds ago when we entered the same lift. I am not your mate, mate. That said, I find myself using it more and more involuntarily  :Embarrass:

-All the spitting - OMG WTF

-separate cold and hot water taps for the sink: RLY, SRSLY?

-charity and the environment: I am happy that I would give electricity to an entire Bangladesh household but I still don`t want that £5 T-shirt. And people should not parachute jump for charity. Give money to charity, AND jump out of an airplane for fun. You don`t need to repent for having fun.
And if you write an entire tale on the side of the box about how that biscuit containing no nuts whatsoever is handmade in a small Scottish family bakery next to a clean stream running a small green hydro plant and using carbon neutral wood (`the fuck is that, anyways?) to heat the oven and hand-madely dipping the biscuit into chocolate (as if Mrs. McGregor touching all over my biscuit should make me more eager to put it in my mouth), don`t you think you will come off as a god damn liar when you have to indicate on the back that people with nut allergies should not eat your product since during the production some nut could make it`s way into it? (obviously from the factory line). Jeesh.

That is all for now :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM
-separate cold and hot water pipe for the sink: RLY, SRSLY?

:lol:  Yes, you actually need a separate pipe to bring in hot water.  If you only want hot water, or only want cold water, then one pipe will do.  Otherwise, you need two.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2013, 08:28:22 AM
-separate cold and hot water pipe for the sink: RLY, SRSLY?

:lol:  Yes, you actually need a separate pipe to bring in hot water.  If you only want hot water, or only want cold water, then one pipe will do.  Otherwise, you need two.

Ok, I meant taps. :P You can continue piling on my language skills once you can showcase how good your Hungarian is. :P

I, of course, meant this:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM-"how are you" "how are you doing", plus casual quick conversation by cashiers and such: YOU DON`T REALLY CARE!!! STOP ASKING! I have seen some occasion of people dropping that casually and moving on without waiting for the answer. A Hungarian friend once tried dropping "Quite bad actually" as an answer to enjoy the confusion and meltdown which followed. :D
Hungarians are whiny and moody, being all cheerful and friendly all the time is EXHAUSTING
:lol: I blame Americans for this, service staff are told to do it - just like 'would you like a croissant or a muffin with that?' - but it doesn't fit well with British people or British service. It's normally said in the same dour monotone as 'do you need help packing?'

You don't have be cheerful and friendly. It's like saying 'hello', not an actual question. All my Spanish friends always answer this question like 'good' or 'really well, thanks' which is about as disconcerting for the person serving you as 'quite bad actually'. The correct answer is 'okay', 'fine' or 'not too bad'. If you then want to escalate towards a full conversation - without needing to actually say anything - you can comment on the weather.

Having said that you're right, I've worked with people from all over Europe and by some distance the Hungarians were the most miserable :lol: I don't know why :console:

Edit: I had the same experience going to the US where it seemed like the service staff actually meant their question and wanted follow-up on how I was because 'not too bad' sounded quite negative.

Quote-All the spitting - OMG WTF
Interesting. Never noticed it myself.

Quote-separate cold and hot water pipe for the sink: RLY, SRSLY?
I know :bleeding:

Edit: How is Epping though? You had much of a chance to do stuff out of work?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2013, 08:34:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM-"how are you" "how are you doing", plus casual quick conversation by cashiers and such: YOU DON`T REALLY CARE!!! STOP ASKING! I have seen some occasion of people dropping that casually and moving on without waiting for the answer. A Hungarian friend once tried dropping "Quite bad actually" as an answer to enjoy the confusion and meltdown which followed. :D
:lol: I blame Americans for this, service staff are told to do it - just like 'would you like a croissant or a muffin with that?' - but it doesn't fit well with British people or British service. It's normally said in the same dour monotone as 'do you need help packing?'

You don't have be cheerful and friendly. It's like saying 'hello', not an actual question. All my Spanish friends always answer this question like 'good' or 'really well, thanks' which is about as disconcerting for the person serving you as 'quite bad actually'. The correct answer is 'okay', 'fine' or 'not too bad'. If you then want to escalate towards a full conversation - without needing to actually say anything - you can comment on the weather.

Having said that you're right, I've worked with people from all over Europe and by some distance the Hungarians were the most miserable :lol: I don't know why :console:

You can blame us for it, but damned if you don't think about it more than we do.  :P  You people get torqued around the axle over the most useless stuff.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:30:33 AM
Ok, I meant taps. :P You can continue piling on my language skills once you can showcase how good your Hungarian is. :P 

Tell you what:  I will eschew using "RLY, SRSLY" in Hungarian when I don't know what I am talking about, and you do the same with the English language.  :cool:

QuoteI, of course, meant this:

Of course, there are actual words for this that don't involve pipes, as you now know.

The Brits used (and still use, in many cases) attic or rooftop gravity-feed hot water tanks.  Those tanks aren't inspected, cleaned, etc and so can produce contaminated water unfit for drinking (but still fit for washing with).  Regulations for years required that the cold water taps (which came directly from the water mains) be separate so that the drinking water didn't get contaminated with the hot water tank bugs.  That has remained the custom, even when it isn't necessary (i.e. when there is a standard water heater connected to the main water supply).  It is kinda silly, but understandable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 08:53:29 AM
You can blame us for it, but damned if you don't think about it more than we do.  :P
:lol: Of course. It's natural in the US. Americans are more upbeat, friendly and chatty than British people. American service is genuinely warm, British service hopes for competence - anything else is a bonus.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2013, 08:57:58 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 08:53:29 AM
You can blame us for it, but damned if you don't think about it more than we do.  :P
:lol: Of course. It's natural in the US. Americans are more upbeat, friendly and chatty than British people. American service is genuinely warm, British service hopes for competence - anything else is a bonus.

We are a kind and gentle people. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2013, 08:57:49 AM
The Brits used (and still use, in many cases) attic or rooftop gravity-feed hot water tanks.  Those tanks aren't inspected, cleaned, etc and so can produce contaminated water unfit for drinking (but still fit for washing with).

Ewww, barf.  Disgusting.

Valmy

-"how are you" "how are you doing", plus casual quick conversation by cashiers and such: YOU DON`T REALLY CARE!!! STOP ASKING! I have seen some occasion of people dropping that casually and moving on without waiting for the answer. A Hungarian friend once tried dropping "Quite bad actually" as an answer to enjoy the confusion and meltdown which followed. :D

My God you would hate Texas then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Edit: I had the same experience going to the US where it seemed like the service staff actually meant their question and wanted follow-up on how I was because 'not too bad' sounded quite negative.

Social convention here demands everybody pretends to be friendly and happy all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 09:06:04 AM

Social convention here demands everybody pretends to be friendly and happy all the time.

It's what keeps us from tearing each other apart in another Civil War.  I believe it was part of the terms at Appomattox.

Europe, on the other hand, is a continent full of sullen 15 year olds in the back of Mom's minivan.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 09:08:26 AM
It's what keeps us from tearing each other apart in another Civil War.  I believe it was part of the terms at Appomattox.

Europe, on the other hand, is a continent full of sullen 15 year olds in the back of Mom's minivan.

The funny part is I found it just as exhausting putting up with people being so moody all the time.  When I say hello just smile and say hello back you crazy Euros!  Is that not what civilization demands?