Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 09:08:26 AM
It's what keeps us from tearing each other apart in another Civil War.  I believe it was part of the terms at Appomattox.

Europe, on the other hand, is a continent full of sullen 15 year olds in the back of Mom's minivan.

The funny part is I found it just as exhausting putting up with people being so moody all the time.  When I say hello just smile and say hello back you crazy Euros!  Is that not what civilization demands?
No.  :mad:

Brazen

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM
-"how are you" "how are you doing", plus casual quick conversation by cashiers and such: YOU DON`T REALLY CARE!!! STOP ASKING! I have seen some occasion of people dropping that casually and moving on without waiting for the answer. A Hungarian friend once tried dropping "Quite bad actually" as an answer to enjoy the confusion and meltdown which followed. :D
Hungarians are whiny and moody, being all cheerful and friendly all the time is EXHAUSTING
Just consider it a way of saying hello, like the Chinese greeting "Have you eaten yet?" It's not actually a question, just a greeting. The expected response is "fine".

Quote-"m8" see above. First time you have seen me was 2 seconds ago when we entered the same lift. I am not your mate, mate. That said, I find myself using it more and more involuntarily  :Embarrass:
Again, it's just punctuating a conversation with a stranger, like Sir would have been used years ago.

Quote-All the spitting - OMG WTF
That's down to all the Eastern Europeans. It's just been banned in my town.

Quote-separate cold and hot water taps for the sink: RLY, SRSLY?
Who'd want to brush their teeth with water out of the same tap the hot water comes out of? I've been to a half-dozen countries this year and they all had separate taps in the bathroom.

Quote-charity and the environment: I am happy that I would give electricity to an entire Bangladesh household but I still don`t want that £5 T-shirt. And people should not parachute jump for charity. Give money to charity, AND jump out of an airplane for fun. You don`t need to repent for having fun.
I only sponsor people if they do stuff that's going to hurt and not be fun. Marathon yes, pay for your holiday to Machu Picchu, no. I went to a wedding where the couple asked for charity donations instead of presents. I didn't even get any food out of it. I don't like being forced to support a cause I wouldn't otherwise have donated to.

Richard Hakluyt

I hate mixer taps; cost me a small fortune to get separate hot and cold taps when I had a new bathroom installed a few years back  :lol:

garbon

I'll admit that was one of my least favorite things about England. I wasn't in for getting scalded on one part and frozen on the other. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:30:33 AM
I, of course, meant this:

Ok that is freaking nuts.  I might consider moving back to Hungary just to get some warm water.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 03, 2013, 09:40:49 AM
I hate mixer taps; cost me a small fortune to get separate hot and cold taps when I had a new bathroom installed a few years back  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 09:45:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 08:30:33 AM
I, of course, meant this:

Ok that is freaking nuts.  I might consider moving back to Hungary just to get some warm water.

Actually my flat has proper mixer taps. But I have seen that at other places and I dread the possibility of having to move to a place once which goes full Brit on taps.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2013, 09:16:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 09:08:26 AM
It's what keeps us from tearing each other apart in another Civil War.  I believe it was part of the terms at Appomattox.

Europe, on the other hand, is a continent full of sullen 15 year olds in the back of Mom's minivan.

The funny part is I found it just as exhausting putting up with people being so moody all the time.  When I say hello just smile and say hello back you crazy Euros!  Is that not what civilization demands?
No.  :mad:

I read a blog post from a Russian the other day explaining that Russians smile so little on pictures because that's something they only do towards friends and people they actually know and like, not to strangers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Herodotus said that "custom is king of all" and I agree with him. I find mixer taps distasteful and degenerate and the warm water they put out gives me the creeps..........which, I will concede, is a more or less insane position  :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2013, 09:48:50 AM
I read a blog post from a Russian the other day explaining that Russians smile so little on pictures because that's something they only do towards friends and people they actually know and like, not to strangers.

To a Texan that just seems like being a petty douchebag. :lol:

But don't most people usually take pictures of friends and people they actually know and like?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 09:52:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2013, 09:48:50 AM

To a Texan that just seems like being a petty douchebag. :lol:

But don't most people usually take pictures of friends and people they actually know and like?

Once the white devil has captured your soul in a "picture", he can show it to anyone. Shocking, I know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

:lol: You Brits do understand that if you only want cold water you just turn on the cold faucet, right?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2013, 10:23:55 AM
:lol: You Brits do understand that if you only want cold water you just turn on the cold faucet, right?

But in a lot of places the hot water isn't as clean.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on December 03, 2013, 10:25:51 AM
But in a lot of places the hot water isn't as clean.
We tend to heat water for a limited period of the day and keep it in insulated immersion heaters, so even if it's not unhygienic per se, it's a bit stagnant.