Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2013, 09:47:46 AM
At least you don't have to deal with German toilets.

I'd call them Austrian toilets these days. When I left Germany in 2005, no toilet that I recall had a "ledge" anymore where you droppings would rest until you flushed - everything dropped into the water.

In Austria it's no longer in places built in the 2000s, but almost all older buildings/apartments still have them and you might encounter them occasionally in pubs or restaurants. The trick: put some toilet paper in the bowl before you flush, so you don't leave unseemly stains that require vigorous brushing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 03, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
I found Budapest rather quiet and somewhat melancholy.........I put that down to it not having as many people as it should  :hmm:

I was there in 1997 and I thought it felt a bit angry and foreboding.  I put that down to just recently emerging from under the boot of the hated Russians.  Man did those people hate the Russians.  That was the most pissed off history museum I ever went to  :ph34r:

I was there 10 years later, and rather liked Budapest because it was the only place in eastern europe that felt like it had once been a part of the Warsaw Pact.  Prague and Krakow felt very much like the west.

I was there in 89, before the wall came down.  At that time Budapest was going through its own kind of political spring and it had a feel of electric excitement.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 03, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2013, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 03, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
I found Budapest rather quiet and somewhat melancholy.........I put that down to it not having as many people as it should  :hmm:

I was there in 1997 and I thought it felt a bit angry and foreboding.  I put that down to just recently emerging from under the boot of the hated Russians.  Man did those people hate the Russians.  That was the most pissed off history museum I ever went to  :ph34r:

I was there 10 years later, and rather liked Budapest because it was the only place in eastern europe that felt like it had once been a part of the Warsaw Pact.  Prague and Krakow felt very much like the west.

I was there in 89, before the wall came down.  At that time Budapest was going through its own kind of political spring and it had a feel of electric excitement.

That was before people learned that fall of communism doesn`t only mean freezers and VHS recorders, but also increased individual responsibility and actual expectations regarding their performances at work.

alfred russel

Because they were finally getting electricity?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on December 03, 2013, 12:59:39 PM

Because they were finally getting electricity?

:rolleyes: Your DGuller persona is supposed to be Ukrainian, you should know better.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2013, 12:37:25 PM

I'd call them Austrian toilets these days. When I left Germany in 2005, no toilet that I recall had a "ledge" anymore where you droppings would rest until you flushed - everything dropped into the water.

In Austria it's no longer in places built in the 2000s, but almost all older buildings/apartments still have them and you might encounter them occasionally in pubs or restaurants. The trick: put some toilet paper in the bowl before you flush, so you don't leave unseemly stains that require vigorous brushing.

Jesus H Two-Ply Christ, no wonder you people lost wars in the 20th century.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2013, 12:59:13 PM
That was before people learned that fall of communism doesn`t only mean freezers and VHS recorders, but also increased individual responsibility and actual expectations regarding their performances at work.

Ok well that explains all the rage in 1997.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 01:11:55 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2013, 12:37:25 PM

Jesus H Two-Ply Christ, no wonder you people lost wars in the 20th century.

Hitler was too busy plying with his poop
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

How the fuck they can refine combined arms and mobile warfare doctrine to an art yet not build a decent toilet...

The Brain

Fuck you. There is nothing strange about always inspecting your stool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2013, 01:34:42 PM

If it were necessary, your body would keep it.  Weirdos.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2013, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2013, 01:34:42 PM

If it were necessary, your body would keep it.  Weirdos.

But you should inspect it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom