News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 15, 2013, 08:54:17 AM
How can there be no process in place to simply remove/impeach him?

There is, but he has not been charged with any crime.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2013, 09:58:40 AM
Do youse guys have recall petitions?
That's an American thing, like an elected head of state or an elected senate.  We don't like this kind of tyranny over here, as we were reminded last summer that French & English fought side-by-side to end this threat 200 years ago  :shutup:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

There is, but it isnt the kind of recall initiative used in the US.

Municipalities are creatures of Provincial Legislation and the legislation in most Provinces allowes for the Provincial government to intervene in certain circumstances.  I believe Ontario has something like that.  It is likely the Premier of Ontario is seeking advice about that at this moment.  I cant recall this kind of drastic intervention being required before.  Normally people voluntarily step down. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2013, 12:11:32 PMMunicipalities are creatures of Provincial Legislation and the legislation in most Provinces allowes for the Provincial government to intervene in certain circumstances.  I believe Ontario has something like that.  It is likely the Premier of Ontario is seeking advice about that at this moment.  I cant recall this kind of drastic intervention being required before.  Normally people voluntarily step down.
Yeah at a certain point a sense of shame kicks in. Given his comments about his wife, I'm not sure we can depend on that here :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2013, 12:15:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2013, 12:11:32 PMMunicipalities are creatures of Provincial Legislation and the legislation in most Provinces allowes for the Provincial government to intervene in certain circumstances.  I believe Ontario has something like that.  It is likely the Premier of Ontario is seeking advice about that at this moment.  I cant recall this kind of drastic intervention being required before.  Normally people voluntarily step down.
Yeah at a certain point a sense of shame kicks in. Given his comments about his wife, I'm not sure we can depend on that here :lol:

Yeah, no kidding.  That is why I think the Premier is probably huddled with her legal advisors as we speak.  There was probably some hope he would eventually step down.  But it is clear the man is beyond the pale.

Sheilbh

I can't wait for the outrage when he starts claiming his pension :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on November 15, 2013, 08:30:29 AM

However, reporters were left gasping by his profane outburst as he denied having once offered oral sex to a former female employee.

The father of two young children said that he was "happily married" and crudely commented that he enjoyed enough oral sex at home.

Here's the video. The language is bleeped, but it may still not be safe for work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg80V79kvDg&feature=player_embedded
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

Quote from: merithyn on November 15, 2013, 01:02:06 PM
Quote from: Maladict on November 15, 2013, 08:30:29 AM

However, reporters were left gasping by his profane outburst as he denied having once offered oral sex to a former female employee.

The father of two young children said that he was "happily married" and crudely commented that he enjoyed enough oral sex at home.

Here's the video. The language is bleeped, but it may still not be safe for work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg80V79kvDg&feature=player_embedded

What's almost better than the insane comment is the audible disbelief from the reporters in what they've just heard. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I feel like donating some money to his reelection campaign.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2013, 01:44:41 PM
Squares everywhere.
To be fair, not everyone criticizing him is a square.  Many people hate him because he's not part of the weird group of leftists that have traditionally run Toronto.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Gay Fox gets the politicians that he deserves. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2013, 12:11:32 PM

There is, but it isnt the kind of recall initiative used in the US.

Municipalities are creatures of Provincial Legislation and the legislation in most Provinces allowes for the Provincial government to intervene in certain circumstances.  I believe Ontario has something like that.  It is likely the Premier of Ontario is seeking advice about that at this moment.  I cant recall this kind of drastic intervention being required before.  Normally people voluntarily step down.

This is the key: in Canada, there is a very strong tradition of disgraced politicians resigning voluntarily. A guy like Ford, who flat-out refuses to resign, is messing up the system, which never needed a removal system before.

City council has voted to strip him of all his powers and stipends for his office (down to what a regular council member has), more or less ostracizing him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-stripped-of-key-powers-in-council-vote-1.2426988
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

So it's just like the ultra-Orthodox get.  :hmm: