News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

On Stern the other day they played a clip from a Toronto radio show where the host was talking about the Rob Ford scandal, and this dude called in to (rather incoherently) defend Ford.  About halfway through the call the host goes "Wait a minute, is this you Mr. Mayor?" and the caller ignored the comment and kept ranting on.  The host interrupted him again like 30 seconds later and said "Rob Ford, I know this is you... I recognize your voice" at which point Ford hung up. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2013, 12:28:21 PM
Wow, I just read this guy's bio on Wikipedia and (assuming it's accurate) this guy sounds like a complete fucking loser who achieved nothing in life without daddy's help.  I can't for the life of me understand how he managed to get elected to office.... and here I was thinking that everyone in Canada is an amazing enlightened genius.  cc has led me astray  :(
Wait a second... HOLY SHIT.  This guy is literally the real-life incarnation of Tommy Callahan!  :lmfao:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2013, 12:28:21 PM
Wow, I just read this guy's bio on Wikipedia and (assuming it's accurate) this guy sounds like a complete fucking loser who achieved nothing in life without daddy's help.  I can't for the life of me understand how he managed to get elected to office.... and here I was thinking that everyone in Canada is an amazing enlightened genius.  cc has led me astray  :(

This is the view from afar, and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Toronto municipal politics, but it was on my radar...

Toronto has been poorly managed, with some reasonably incompetent mayors, for as long as I can remember.  Very left-wing ivory tower types, more concerned with diversity and sensitivity than, you know, making sure the streets are clean.  Rob Ford was a councillor for 10 years before becoming mayor.  He was a blowhard back then too, but he had a very simple, straight-forward message for that entire time "stop the gravy train".  He wanted to cutback on expenses, get taxes under control.  Oh and he had a thing about subways as opposed to above ground rail that I didn't understand.

So in the last mayoral election, when the previous mayor wasn't running, and the other leading contender seemed like yet another egghead, the suburbs voted fairly convincingly for Ford.

And hell - even after all this, depending on who was running I wouldn't rule out voting for Ford in the next election...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I keep reading this as "What's the deal with Mayor Rob Halford".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

You'd think Ford would be popular on Languish.

QuoteOn March 7, 2007, Ford made controversial comments about cyclists' use of the roads, saying, "What I compare bike lanes to is swimming with the sharks. Sooner or later you're going to get bitten... Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks, not for people on bikes. My heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

:lol:

Seriously, though - everyone knew Ford was an anti-intellectual clown (though the public didn't know he was as big a drunk, druggie and all-around fuckup as he later proved). To a large extent, that's why he got elected.

The background: Toronto as a city is the result of a recent amalgamation of a bunch of cities, with very different cultures. Toronto proper is left-leaning and full of egghead intellectual types who love diversity programs and bike lanes, that sort of stuff. They tended to elect egghead mayors who spend freely on stuff like that. Moreover, these guys seemed absolutely helpless in dealing with the public service unions, who seemed to strike when they felt like it and get whatever they wanted.

Ford was elected by people in the suburbs, who tended to be right-leaning, hate all that egghead shit, and wanted the unions hammered. Ford promised to 'stop the gravey train' and the more Ford mouthed off ignorantly insulting his opponents, the better these voters in the burbs liked him. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2013, 02:11:58 PM
Looks like Ford's gomnna hit the rehab highway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-prepared-to-take-some-downtime-deputy-mayor-1.2419605

You know, if (and this is a big if) he went and took a leave of absence, checked himself into a rehab program, and was successful (which, likely would also help him lose some weight), he'd actually be a pretty formidable candidate for re-election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Best of luck to him in rehab, but something tells me he's a few months away from a heart attack.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 01:22:49 PM
And hell - even after all this, depending on who was running I wouldn't rule out voting for Ford in the next election...

Don't think the GTA stretches all the way to Alberta.

yet.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Greater Toronto Area.

Which, incidentally goes on forever.

Queequeg

So what are the odds this guy actually ordered someone killed?  Please say greater than 20%.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2013, 02:51:45 PM
So what are the odds this guy actually ordered someone killed?  Please say greater than 20%.
19%
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son