And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2013, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2013, 04:47:15 PM
Not exactly.  The Premier has said she'd need the unanimous support of the provincial legislature, not city council.  This is because although municipal politics are nominally non-partisan, Rob Ford closely aligned himself with the Conservatives.  So the governing Liberals do not want this to be a political issue used against them and want the provincial PCs to be on board with any change to the legislation.

So the Premier has the power, but wants some political cover?

Well she has the power to change the law to allow for a procedure to impeach mayors, but otherwise yes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2013, 04:50:40 PM
Well she has the power to change the law to allow for a procedure to impeach mayors, but otherwise yes.

Asoka

When you say she has the power to change the law, I suppose you mean because she's the leader of a party with a majority, right? 

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2013, 04:46:00 PM
Suburban voters would be the absolute last type of voters to elect Ford.

Like I said, pre-crack head. From what I understanding his platform was basically to ridicule ordinary staff spending that he considered excessive that the council was using (like drivers to drive them around, lavish staff budgets etc), and advocate slashing waste and spending and lowering taxes. That's actually a pretty popular message in the American suburbs, least as far as I can tell.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 15, 2013, 04:53:56 PM
Like I said, pre-crack head.

I don't feel the need to read your posts before responding to them.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2013, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2013, 04:50:40 PM

Asoka

When you say she has the power to change the law, I suppose you mean because she's the leader of a party with a majority, right?

Actually she is 1 seat shy of a majority, though the NDP seems to be in support.

CountDeMoney

Savonarola

Michigan has a similar set up to Canadian provinces by the sound of it.  The governor can remove mayors, but would only do so under the most extraordinary of circumstances.  Jenny Granholm did remove Kwame from office, but she had held off doing so for a very long time.  (Kwame had even spent time in jail and she had done nothing.)

Granholm and Kwame were from the same party; and Kwame was clearly hurting the Democrats by the time she removed him.  If I were a Liberal Premiere I'd do everything in my power to keep Conservative Chris Farley as mayor of Toronto.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2013, 05:31:16 PM
Michigan has a similar set up to Canadian provinces by the sound of it.  The governor can remove mayors, but would only do so under the most extraordinary of circumstances.  Jenny Granholm did remove Kwame from office, but she had held off doing so for a very long time.  (Kwame had even spent time in jail and she had done nothing.)

Granholm and Kwame were from the same party; and Kwame was clearly hurting the Democrats by the time she removed him.  If I were a Liberal Premiere I'd do everything in my power to keep Conservative Chris Farley as mayor of Toronto.

And the difference of course is that while Kwame had already done some time in jail, Rob Ford has not been charged with any offence, never mind convicted.  I believe if he was convicted of an offence he'd be easy to remove.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
And the difference of course is that while Kwame had already done some time in jail, Rob Ford has not been charged with any offence, never mind convicted.  I believe if he was convicted of an offence he'd be easy to remove.

Kwame went to jail (while in office) for violating the terms of his bail; although he had a large number of charges against him when he was removed.

The way the Detroit City Charter was written (it's since changed) even if convicted a person wouldn't lose their office.  Monica Conyers wasn't automatically removed from the city council after pleading guilty to taking bribes; though, with uncharacteristic wisdom, she did resign.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

garbon

Canadians get pretty rowdy! What was up with his odd little run? It said he was charging at a spectator, but he just gave up when he hit the council woman?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I'll be lighting up an extra rock tonight in honor of Hizzoner. :sleep: :canuck:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

I think this is my favourite Rob Ford thing:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2013, 06:12:29 PM
We can't allow this thread to die.

Today's incidents:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/18/rob-ford-city-council-begins-unprecedented-meeting-to-strip-ford-of-most-mayoral-powers/

Just for those who didn't click on the link:

QuoteCouncil voted 36-6 to cut his office budget.

"You guys have just attacked Kuwait," Mayor Ford said a speech just prior to the vote on the special motion. "This is going to be outright war in the next election."

"Am I mad, of course I'm mad, because every one of you guys have sinned. What goes around comes around friends. Remember what I am saying."
Earlier, the mayor took off running after brother Doug Ford got into a verbal argument with the crowd, hitting veteran Councillor Pam McConnell, knocking her backwards, before catching her and helping her steady herself. McConnell, a grandmother, would later be seen in council icing her lip.

Councillor Ford, who had earlier denounced the "special interest groups" and union members he said were sitting in the audience, began yelling at them: "You got your hands in the cookie jar!" as the incident unfolded.

"Saving money? You don't like saving money? I save money!" Mayor Ford yelled, as city hall security guards descended, raising their hands in an attempt to get everyone to calm down.

ROB FORD's DEFIANT 'IRAQ INVASION' SPEECH

"Everybody's had their say...the critics, the media, the opposition. I want people to listen to me, tonight, from eight to nine on Sun News. You'll get my side of the story, OK? Unfiltered.

This, folks, reminds me of when I was watching with my brother when Saddam attacked Kuwait and President Bush said, I warn you, I warn you, I warn you, do not.

Well, folks, if you think American-style politics is nasty, you guys have just attacked Kuwait. And you will never, you will never see something that you have—mark my words, friends, this is going to be outright war in the next election and I'm going to do everything in my power, everything in my power to beat you guys.

What you're doing to me is kicking me out of my office, and it's the worst thing that you can do. I was elected by the people—

[Are you mad?]

You're absolutely right I'm mad. Every one of you guys have said—

[Speaker interruption]

And it is absolutely the worst thing you can do for democracy and the City of Toronto. What goes around comes around, friends. Remember what I'm saying." [/quote
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Scipio

To unironically quote the Madison (WI) protestors, 'This is what democracy looks like.' Thank God I live in a republic.

Fucking wastoids.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt