News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on October 07, 2013, 07:50:08 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 01:05:15 AM
Quote from: sbr on October 07, 2013, 12:38:25 AM
I had an idea before was an idiot, nice to see it confirmed. :lol:

Prove your statement then. Dont talk shit. Prove it.

No need to prove it myself, you are doing a fine job yourself.

:rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Dude, you are flailing around out there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2013, 09:47:51 AM

Dude, Meri provided what I was asking to her credit.

Shouldnt you be spending time on the HC exchanges? Where's my $20 fucker? 

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 12:14:54 AM
I think there are a number of valid concerns.

Will the surge in demand significantly raise health care costs?

Will the employer mandate lead to more unemployment and/or further shifts from full time to part time employment?

Will it significantly increase the deficit?

I agree with all of these concerns. The ACA isn't pretty. It has a LOT of issues. But it's a start toward getting healthcare coverage to everyone. You can't tell insurance companies that they have to insure even the most uninsurable without giving them some way to also make money on it. The mandates are meant to do that.

So long as we continue to use private insurance companies, there are going to be some issues to deal with. I still think that private insurance with government subsidies is the better option (like how Medicare works). But it's a work in progress, and it will take time to shake it into the best process for most people.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 09:54:52 AM

Sorry it took so long. I was working on my C++ homework. :glare:

Razgovory

You need to send me your address before I can send you any money in the mail.   I keep asking you about that.  PM me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2013, 10:02:01 AM

You need to send me your address before I can send you any money in the mail.   I keep asking you about that.  PM me.

Dont worry about it. You need it more than me.

Get a paypal account for Christ's sake. And I'm the one that gets called idiot. :rolleyes:

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 10:01:33 AM

Sorry it took so long. I was working on my C++ homework. :glare:

NP. I just wasn't seeing your point. 

Maximus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2013, 06:54:16 PM
So is this a valid criticism of the situation?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/360342/obamacare-sickens-american-workers-deroy-murdock

The big flaw I see in this is the assumption that people moving from employer-based coverage to the exchanges is a bad thing.

I'm not sure the exchanges are a good idea, but I'm practically certain they are a better idea than employer-based.

Admiral Yi

Losing the employer's contribution to the premium is almost certainly a bad thing from the employee's POV. 

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 09:43:00 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2013, 06:18:28 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 01:41:45 AM
Sorry didn't know GF was Canadian. But your statement on Vermont guy is what concerns me.

I don't understand how a Canadian is the same as a guy from Vermont.  B4tard math doesn't add up for me.

Are you senile?
:lmfao:  No, I was imitating a moronic post.  Seems to have hit a nerve.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 11:24:30 AM
Losing the employer's contribution to the premium is almost certainly a bad thing from the employee's POV.

In that case I suspect the employee's POV is flawed.

Not that that makes you wrong, but you'll notice I'm saying it is a positive, not that it will be positively viewed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on October 07, 2013, 11:29:57 AM

You've lost me Max.  How is a preference for paying $200 month vs. $400 a month indicative of a flawed perspective?

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 11:32:17 AM

You've lost me Max.  How is a preference for paying $200 month vs. $400 a month indicative of a flawed perspective?

Because they get to choose their own plans, which gives more flexibility in coverage plans, deductibles, physician groups, etc.

Depending on what plans are chosen, they may not have to pay more per month.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 11:32:17 AM

The employer contribution is coming out of their other compensation. Granted many will not see it this way.

In the long term, removing employer contributions should cause other compensation to rise accordingly, but insurance costs will rise immediately, which makes it hard to see the positive. The positive being what Meri outlined.