News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2013, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 09:43:00 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2013, 06:18:28 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 01:41:45 AM
Sorry didn't know GF was Canadian. But your statement on Vermont guy is what concerns me.

I don't understand how a Canadian is the same as a guy from Vermont.  B4tard math doesn't add up for me.

Are you senile?
:lmfao:  No, I was imitating a moronic post.  Seems to have hit a nerve.

I'm sorry that you are never wrong

or will ever admit your wrong

Isn't that right "Little Boat" man.

Meri has more character than you could ever hope to have.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on October 07, 2013, 11:43:20 AM
In the long term, removing employer contributions should cause other compensation to rise accordingly

Yeah.  Sure it will.

And I'm not even making a Money-esque CURSE YOU SHAREHOLDER VALUE point, though I share the sentiments.  Wage stickiness is an observable economic concept.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 12:54:40 PM

:lol:  Emo much?

QuoteMeri has more character than you could ever hope to have.  :lol: 

And more brains or character than you can hope to have. :console:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2013, 01:31:28 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2013, 12:54:40 PM

:lol:  Emo much?

QuoteMeri has more character than you could ever hope to have.  :lol: 

And more brains or character than you can hope to have. :console:

Awww. Isn't that special.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

I'm touched, both of you. I think. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Maximus on October 07, 2013, 11:43:20 AM
The employer contribution is coming out of their other compensation. Granted many will not see it this way.

In the long term, removing employer contributions should cause other compensation to rise accordingly, but insurance costs will rise immediately, which makes it hard to see the positive. The positive being what Meri outlined.

My cynical side sees moves like this as a backdoor pay cut, meaning employees affected by companies throwing them to the exchanges are not going to see other compensation rise accordingly.  I don't see that as CdM-level shareholder value cynicism, either.

merithyn

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 07, 2013, 02:57:51 PM

My cynical side sees moves like this as a backdoor pay cut, meaning employees affected by companies throwing them to the exchanges are not going to see other compensation rise accordingly.  I don't see that as CdM-level shareholder value cynicism, either.

That's a major concern, to be sure, and I think it's one that most people share.

Admiral Yi

Disagree Moldy.

"Do they have health insurance" is a fairly standard question for people job-seeking.  Tossing people on exchanges will, in my estimation, decrease their supply and drive up cash compensation.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 03:03:51 PM
Disagree Moldy.

"Do they have health insurance" is a fairly standard question for people job-seeking.  Tossing people on exchanges will, in my estimation, decrease their supply and drive up cash compensation.
I agree.  Companies might get away with shortchanging employees on compensation by failing to balance lack of health care with increased pay to allow the employee to afford it in the current economic climate, but in the long run that will cost them their good people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 03:03:51 PM
Disagree Moldy.

I dunno. Maybe in the hard-to-fill positions, but not in your typical pay-by-the-hour jobs like I have. Plus, there's more to it than individual insurance. I expect companies to start pulling benefits from spouses and families, but not making adjustments for those.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 03:16:36 PM
I dunno. Maybe in the hard-to-fill positions, but not in your typical pay-by-the-hour jobs like I have. Plus, there's more to it than individual insurance. I expect companies to start pulling benefits from spouses and families, but not making adjustments for those.

Were you indifferent to the provision of employer-provided insurance when you applied for and accepted your job?

DGuller

Unless the wages are very sticky, and are currently stuck in "way too high" territory, I don't see how a company can get away with just taking away health insurance without any compensation.  There is a reason most employers pay more than bare minimum to their workers, even in the not-hard-to-fill positions, and it's not charity.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2013, 03:16:36 PM

Were you indifferent to the provision of employer-provided insurance when you applied for and accepted your job?

At the time that I got the job, it was more important that I have a paycheck than that I have insurance. It was a bonus, not the reason for taking it.