News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2013, 11:06:44 PM
Before, you're really tiresome.  You're other doing this trolling thing very wrong, or very right.

Someone explain how someone paying 650/mo to my 42/mo outta pocket is the same. Hell lets even drop it to 300/mo with help from the US Gov. It doesnt matter if my plan costs 10k/mo and my employer picks up 99.5% (or whatever percentage) of it. It still only costs me 42/mo outta pocket. For sake of conversation, his employer doesnt offer healthcare insurance. Someone explain how!!!!!!!!

QuoteI'm pretty sure that your plan costs more than that. The difference is that your employer pays a portion, whereas, GF's plan is for personal.

Here is Meri's statement when I said it was outrageous. Her statement doesnt matter when were are talking about outta pocket.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 08:00:47 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2013, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2013, 07:24:36 PM
You notice how you make an ass of yourself in the first sentence?  You probably shouldn't do that.  Makes you harder to take seriously.

There's been a gap for faux conservatism since Fate stopped hanging around here, so Bravo decided to step in(and more ambiguously I might add).

Someone has to play devil's advocate here. Christ, there wouldnt be a forum if all you liberaltards agreed. Just the Gaming Section, Ide's Movie Thread, and Off Topic Topic thread.

So you're saying it would be great?

Anyway, I think Obamacare sucks, I've always said so.  I've got to start paying for insurance.

Now, I want insurance, but either 1)I want it to be a form of compensation on top of my crappy wage or 2)I just want someone else to pay for it.

Serious question: will IBR be adjusted in any way by the ACA?  I'm paying (well, I was paying, before I went into temp roller coaster mode) $400 a month to my loan servicer.  If I am forced to pay for health insurance, that's a de facto reduction in income, and I want my SL payments reduced commensurately.  If not, and if I have to start paying $100-300 a month in health insurance (as I expect I will since I doubt at my rate, and going by last year's tax returns, I'm entitled to any subsidy), I'm afraid it'll bring me that much closer to destitution.  I don't like destitution.  I want to buy a new car and maybe, one day, a fucking house.

And I'm a permatemp.  What happens to my premium when I'm laid off, as I am constantly?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 11:14:13 PM
Before, you're really tiresome.  You're other doing this trolling thing very wrong, or very right.

Someone explain how someone paying 650/mo to my 42/mo outta pocket is the same. Hell lets even drop it to 300/mo with help from the US Gov. It doesnt matter if my plan costs 10k/mo and my employer picks up 99.5% (or whatever percentage) of it. It still only costs me 42/mo outta pocket. For sake of conversation, his employer doesnt offer healthcare insurance. Someone explain how!!!!!!!!

QuoteI'm pretty sure that your plan costs more than that. The difference is that your employer pays a portion, whereas, GF's plan is for personal.

Here is Meri's statement when I said it was outrageous. Her statement doesnt matter when were are talking about outta pocket.
It's simple:  even if your employer pays for some of your health insurance premium, ultimately you still pay for it.  The cost of benefits is part of your compensation package.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2013, 11:29:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 11:14:13 PM

It's simple:  even if your employer pays for some of your health insurance premium, ultimately you still pay for it.  The cost of benefits is part of your compensation package.

The insurance went up 40.00 since 2004. My retired pay has increased by 400.00 in the same amount of time. Sorry still dont get it.

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

On the plus side, if I do have to get insurance, I'm getting drugged up as fuck.  Uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, hope, and change.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 11:33:00 PM
The insurance went up 40.00 since 2004. My retired pay has increased by 400.00 in the same amount of time. Sorry still dont get it.
I don't think you want to get it, so I'll stop wasting my time.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2013, 11:34:47 PM
What do you not get?  :huh:

How him paying 650/mo is the same as me paying 42/mo.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2013, 11:37:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 11:33:00 PM
I don't think you want to get it, so I'll stop wasting my time.

There you are wrong.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 11:37:38 PM
How him paying 650/mo is the same as me paying 42/mo.

It's not.  I already said this.  42 is only two digits and begins with a 4.  It's less than 650.

Eddie Teach

Thing is, the question is whether the act will increase or decrease the actual cost of health care. Not whether some employers will use it as an excuse to cut benefits.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I think there are a number of valid concerns.

Will the surge in demand significantly raise health care costs?

Will the employer mandate lead to more unemployment and/or further shifts from full time to part time employment?

Will it significantly increase the deficit?