Medieval Memes: The far right’s new fascination with the Middle Ages

Started by Razgovory, January 02, 2017, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 08:25:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2017, 07:55:00 PM
What is so revolting about medieval philosophy?

Maybe Jake is a Platonist.

Boethius was right!  Aquinas is histories greatest monster!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

The Brain

I once saw a Swedish thesis in computer science that was essentially a rant about the intellectual superiority of the middle ages because back then people followed GOD. Opponents had included a minister (yes for a computer science thesis)... The language was atrocious (written in English using lots and lots of "fancy" words).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Archy

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Archy on January 04, 2017, 06:35:49 AM
God is a processor? :huh:

Maybe in French before the '50s, because Ordinateur (the one who puts order)  i.e computer nowadays was another name for God. But then IBM France asked a prof for a translation of computer. Computeur/calculateur would not do the trick.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 04, 2017, 03:38:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2017, 12:49:09 AM
Boethius was right!  Aquinas is histories greatest monster!

Did Boethius double as Nostradamus?

Boethius put equal weight behind Plato and Aristotle or perhaps favored Plato, Aquinas heavily favored Aristotle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017