News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2013, 11:38:51 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Then without watching the video I'll vote "nut".

Basically, he says that health care in the U.S. is too expensive (other countries have equal or very similar level at much reduced costs) and that a number of factors contribute to it, not just one monolithic item (and that some things touted as cost drivers are almost negligible). Also, that reform will be long and hard.

Yes, but I think the big point he makes is that single payor systems are able to control costs much more efficiently as most people or entities in the US cannot negotiate for a competitive effective price on their own.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2013, 11:47:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2013, 11:38:51 AM
Basically, he says that health care in the U.S. is too expensive (other countries have equal or very similar level at much reduced costs) and that a number of factors contribute to it, not just one monolithic item (and that some things touted as cost drivers are almost negligible). Also, that reform will be long and hard.

I thought he undercut his thesis with his comments about lack of bargaining ability.

You disagree with that part? I thought that that was a gimme.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 12:01:52 PM
You disagree with that part? I thought that that was a gimme.

I think he undercut his thesis about the complexity of the problem, the many contributing factors, the hard work to fix it, etc., by the way he talked about bargaining.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 11:02:02 AM
I agree, and in the example I gave, I am 100% certain she is faking it.  To give you another example, she used to claim her back hurt so bad that she just laid in bed all night and weekend, which is odd since she used to bug me nonstop on Facebook about going out on my boat. :hmm:

Ah, kentuckians and the so called 'crazy check'. They do love them some SSI checks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2013, 12:27:17 PM
I want a crazy check too.  :(

Not me. Even with the pittance that I make, that check isn't nearly enough to live on.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 12:35:51 PM

Not me. Even with the pittance that I make, that check isn't nearly enough to live on.

Then supplement your crazy check with re-selling prescription painkillers, like they do in Appalachia.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Your check would go to your husband.  :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

He's not crazy, just Canadian.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2013, 03:53:36 PM

Your check would go to your husband.  :rolleyes:

:lmfao:

Ed Anger

They don't have time for your back talk down there.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 09:56:33 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 09:26:36 AM
That's a total joke to call it the "new welfare". There's a massive difference between the two.

Then what reason would you give for skyrocketing disability claims?

Technology and kinder society prevents the ordinary number of people from keeling over, dying.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 05:22:11 PM
Technology and kinder society prevents the ordinary number of people from keeling over, dying.

Republicans are trying their best, though.