News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

DGuller

That sucks.  Dental coverage is one of those things were $100 saved today could cost you $2000 a year later.  Then again, it's also a kind of coverage that is most vulnerable to adverse selection, precisely because you can really stockpile the problems in your mouth until you get insurance.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 01:03:51 PM
Believe it or not given who represents us in the Senate, Kentucky is cooperating.  No idea what it'll do to my (already outstanding) coverage, but from what I'm hearing from the HR people (OF WHICH I AM NOT ONE), it's probably not going to impact our premiums in any way.
Denial is a terrible thing. :console:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 09:13:05 PM
That sucks.  Dental coverage is one of those things were $100 saved today could cost you $2000 a year later.  Then again, it's also a kind of coverage that is most vulnerable to adverse selection, precisely because you can really stockpile the problems in your mouth until you get insurance.

Would you say that presidential penis is a problem?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 09:13:05 PM

Would you say that presidential penis is a problem?
It's an opportunity.

KRonn

I work for a health care corp and I use their own plan which is administered by Tufts insurance. That keeps costs down  for premiums and costs down for me.  I generally need to stay within the health care medical service my deductible and costs are low, usually no deductible. But I can go elsewhere if my doctor advises it and I pay a deductible for that plus I may have to pay some of the costs of treatment. That works for me since all my doctors are in the system with one hospital in my hometown also. I have no idea if we'll see any cost changes, and I haven't seen anything about it from the company so I'm assuming I won't see much change. 

I live in Massachusetts which already had its own plan (AKA Romney Care) so I assume the exchanges are pretty much aready setup. The Governor tried to get a waiver from parts of the ACA since the state already had its plan but that failed. Some legislators have been urging the Governor to try again as the Federal ACA could have some negative impacts on the MA plan.

Phillip V

Because of Obamacare, I am having my blue-collar parents (in their 50's) stop working so that their income drops to a level (using reported rental income) where their health premiums are 95% subsidized.

If I can get them qualified for Social Security disability payments (not counted as income under Obamacare), then our family will become wealthier from my parents not working.

Great system.

Razgovory

We've all seen how you read graphs and such.  Maybe someone else should look at it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on September 26, 2013, 10:35:22 PM
Because of Obamacare, I am having my blue-collar parents (in their 50's) stop working so that their income drops to a level (using reported rental income) where their health premiums are 95% subsidized.

If I can get them qualified for Social Security disability payments (not counted as income under Obamacare), then our family will become wealthier from my parents not working.

Great system.

Saboteurs will be shot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2013, 10:43:43 PM
We've all seen how you read graphs and such.  Maybe someone else should look at it.

:pinch:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Phillip V on September 26, 2013, 10:35:22 PM

Great system.

:w00t: :w00t:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

But I thought Clinton ended welfare as we knew it? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 09:18:22 AM
But I thought Clinton ended welfare as we knew it? :hmm:

Some loopholes were left in.  And disability is becoming the new welfare.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 09:19:48 AM
Some loopholes were left in.  And disability is becoming the new welfare.

:huh:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to qualify for disability? It took my dad five years, two appeals, and dozens of home visits before he qualified, and he had COPD and congestive heart failure. He couldn't walk across the house without stopping for a breath.

That's a total joke to call it the "new welfare". There's a massive difference between the two.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I have a former co-worker who is on disability who is most definitely not disabled.  She has "back pain".  I don't know how hard it was for her to get that, and that's the only ancedotal example I've got. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 09:29:28 AM
I have a former co-worker who is on disability who is most definitely not disabled.  She has "back pain".  I don't know how hard it was for her to get that, and that's the only ancedotal example I've got. :hmm:

How do you know that she's "most definitely not disabled"? Chronic "back pain" can absolutely make it impossible to work. Ask anyone who suffers from it.

I'm saying that if someone is getting disability, it's because they've jumped through a hell of a lot of hoops to get it, and one can guess that they are pretty messed up if they qualify.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...