News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 04:38:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2013, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
And what has made it less attractive?  Higher cost for you?  Less benefits?

The biggest problem is rising costs, combined with a steep rise (from $1500 to $3000 in three years) in the amount I pay out of my HSA before the system kicks in to pay 100% of costs.

Yikes.  With that kind of a deductable I would assume people would be reluctant to seek health care. 

It actually makes you think twice before having a wasteful visit to the doctor for the sniffles.  Which is a good aspect of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 04:40:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 04:38:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2013, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
And what has made it less attractive?  Higher cost for you?  Less benefits?

The biggest problem is rising costs, combined with a steep rise (from $1500 to $3000 in three years) in the amount I pay out of my HSA before the system kicks in to pay 100% of costs.

Yikes.  With that kind of a deductable I would assume people would be reluctant to seek health care. 

It actually makes you think twice before having a wasteful visit to the doctor for the sniffles.  Which is a good aspect of it.

Not really, that cuts out a lot of preventative medicine which results in greater costs and poor health outcomes in the long run.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 04:41:37 PM
Not really, that cuts out a lot of preventative medicine which results in greater costs and poor health outcomes in the long run.

Not really.  Preventative visits and screening procedures are usually covered by high deductible plans at 100% and do not require you to meet your deductible first.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

The stuff that would increase premiums for employer plans are primarily the changes in coverage requirements necessary to make the employer plan compliant with PPACA. Namely this meant the plans had to cover preventive care without requiring a copay or meeting a deductible first (so the plans basically cannot require any out of pocket expense for preventive care), and the plans could have no lifetime limit.

Depending on what coverage your employer offered, changing to comply with those two standards could mean higher premiums. I've always gone with the Kaiser HMO plan available to Federal employees in this area, and as an HMO it didn't have the whole deductible/lifetime maximum scheme in the first place so I basically so no change. However, you can choose between a large number of plans as a Federal employee. My understanding is the other plans, some of which had the lifetime maximum coverage and that required copays for things like physicals had to be changed to comply with the PPACA to stay on the list of plans available to Federal employees, and those did have modest premium increases after that.

This is the first place I've heard that all private employers are required to participate in exchanges. I've seen that many employers are choosing to participate in private exchanges, which are different from the PPACA exchanges, because it gives employees more choice and creates large risk pools that can lower the employer's costs.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 04:41:37 PMNot really, that cuts out a lot of preventative medicine which results in greater costs and poor health outcomes in the long run.

A lot of the HDHPs were not so great when they and HSAs first went en vogue, but there have always been good ones that covered preventive care completely. With the PPACA, to even be recognized as a compliant PPACA plan these plans have to cover preventive care. If they are employer offered plans and they were not modified to be compliant, then for the PPACA purposes it's akin to the employer not offering insurance so they have to pay the per-employee penalty (iirc $4,000/year per employee) if they wanted to continue to offer a HD plan like that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 04:43:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 04:41:37 PM

Not really.  Preventative visits and screening procedures are usually covered by high deductible plans at 100% and do not require you to meet your deductible first.

prevention isnt about just screening.  Its going to the doctor when you have an issue.  It might be minor but it might also be major.  Thats why we have doctors who are trained to make that call.

MadImmortalMan

Out of curiosity, does Medicare have deductibles?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 04:40:22 PM

For those living paycheck-to-paycheck, it makes you think twice, thrice, and then some before going in for necessary treatments, too. I know it does for me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

My brother in law is constantly giving ambulance rides to lonely old people who just want a free meal and somebody to talk to...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 25, 2013, 04:50:09 PM

I believe there is a copay for doctor visits.

And as everyone with a TV knows, it only covers 80% of hospital stays.

merithyn

It depends on the plan that you have. There are a number of plan options, some of which require a deductible while others do not.

MadImmortalMan

Did Obamacare make any changes to the Medicare setup or was it always like that?

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 25, 2013, 04:53:46 PM
Did Obamacare make any changes to the Medicare setup or was it always like that?

I believe that it's been that way for the past five years or so, but I'm not 100% sure when MedAdvantage kicked in.

Jacob

In Canada it does not. Or do you mean the US program for seniors?

Ideologue

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.  I've been given no guidance.  Am I supposed to sign up for something or what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)