News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 10:52:57 AM
Do you understand how draconian that makes your society sound?

:o  No :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 10:52:57 AM
Do you understand how draconian that makes your society sound?

Yes, I do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I can't speak for spiess, but I personally recognize the value of welfare.  Every society has some people that cannot or will not work for whatever reason, and you can't just let these people starve to death in the streets.

I think it's ok to question people when it appears they may be abusing the system, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

I actually believe in having something of a safety net.  BUT NOT A SAFETY HAMMOCK OH SNAP :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 10:56:57 AM
I can't speak for spiess, but I personally recognize the value of welfare.  Every society has some people that cannot or will not work for whatever reason, and you can't just let these people starve to death in the streets.

I think it's ok to question people when it appears they may be abusing the system, though.

Absolutely. I agree on all points.

I was only saying that it's sometimes very hard to know if someone is faking it. There are an awful lot of illnesses out there that aren't obvious, like Crohn's, for instance.

Caliga

I agree, and in the example I gave, I am 100% certain she is faking it.  To give you another example, she used to claim her back hurt so bad that she just laid in bed all night and weekend, which is odd since she used to bug me nonstop on Facebook about going out on my boat. :hmm:

Syt

I found this video about the current state of the U.S. health care system interesting, an he offers a few points on why the costs in the U.S. are so much higher than elsewhere int he world (with not much additional benefit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

Can anyone with more knowledge on the issue advise whether he's broadly correct or if he's just a nut?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2013, 11:03:38 AM
I found this video about the current state of the U.S. health care system interesting, an he offers a few points on why the costs in the U.S. are so much higher than elsewhere int he world (with not much additional benefit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

Can anyone with more knowledge on the issue advise whether he's broadly correct or if he's just a nut?

That's pretty much my understanding of the situation, too.

derspiess

Then without watching the video I'll vote "nut".

Just kidding, Meri :hug:

The Brain

I agree with whoever said we should keep the streets clean.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Then without watching the video I'll vote "nut".

Basically, he says that health care in the U.S. is too expensive (other countries have equal or very similar level at much reduced costs) and that a number of factors contribute to it, not just one monolithic item (and that some things touted as cost drivers are almost negligible). Also, that reform will be long and hard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2013, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 09:56:33 AM

Then what reason would you give for skyrocketing disability claims?

Doctors that diagnose it, and the lawyers that argue it.

This.

Oh, and DIB benefits are not a welfare, SSI almost is, but not DIB.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2013, 11:38:51 AM
Basically, he says that health care in the U.S. is too expensive (other countries have equal or very similar level at much reduced costs) and that a number of factors contribute to it, not just one monolithic item (and that some things touted as cost drivers are almost negligible). Also, that reform will be long and hard.

I thought he undercut his thesis with his comments about lack of bargaining ability.