The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2013, 11:07:15 PM
It's after midnight. Yay for America.

And I'm going to enroll for healthcare coverage tomorrow anyway, so suck on that all you Obama- and CdM-haters.  You want to kill me, you're going to need a bigger shutdown, fuckers.

Um... you know that all you can do tomorrow/today is fill out an application, right? I mean.... ACA doesn't go into affect until Jan 1.

So all this stamping and huffing by the Republicans about how they have to shut it down NOW is a little confusing. The only thing that "opens" tomorrow is the application process.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

So hey... I know there's still a chance that Boehner will pass a clean CR before he adjourns the House (unless he just did that?), so a shutdown is not 100% quite yet.

... anyhow, in two weeks there's the debt ceiling and - as I understand it - it's the real deal this time. No winging it and limping along with accounting tricks or anything like that; the debt ceiling must be raised or social security cheques and/or treasure bonds will not get paid.

How do you all feel about that? How's that going to play out?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on September 30, 2013, 11:39:46 PM
Um... you know that all you can do tomorrow/today is fill out an application, right? I mean.... ACA doesn't go into affect until Jan 1.

Yes mother, I am aware of those little details. 

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 12:03:56 AM
So hey... I know there's still a chance that Boehner will pass a clean CR before he adjourns the House (unless he just did that?), so a shutdown is not 100% quite yet.

Nope. It's done. Shutdown complete. 'Murica!!

Quote... anyhow, in two weeks there's the debt ceiling and - as I understand it - it's the real deal this time. No winging it and limping along with accounting tricks or anything like that; the debt ceiling must be raised or social security cheques and/or treasure bonds will not get paid.

I expect the US Government to fail to do anything, and us to default on some of our debts, causing the worldwide financial markets to teeter for a few days. Then, magically, they'll figure something out that will allow us to limp along again for another year, and the Dow will recover.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 12:07:05 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 30, 2013, 11:39:46 PM

Yes mother, I am aware of those little details.

That wasn't really directed at you, personally, as at every journalist and Republican in the US that keeps talking about how, when the exchanges open, TEH WROLD AS WE NO IT IS GOIN' TO CHANGE 4-EVER!!!

That's just ignorant.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2013, 11:21:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2013, 11:19:02 PM
Not obstructionism in action?

I don't understand the question.

The "defund the Iraq war" thing was theoretical, never acted on.  There was no budget crisis over it.  No actual obstruction.  This on the other hand has been acted on and precipitated a crisis and a partial government shutdown.  My understanding is that you were drawing equivalency because of principle, even if the actions and results are wildly different.  Is my understanding correct?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

... anyhow, in two weeks there's the debt ceiling and - as I understand it - it's the real deal this time. No winging it and limping along with accounting tricks or anything like that; the debt ceiling must be raised or social security cheques and/or treasure bonds will not get paid.

I hope it ends in a bloody civil war where my side wins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

In all likelihood The speaker will allow the loopier GOP members to have their little tantrum for now, but will bring a bill to deal with the debt ceiling to a vote that will get enough votes to pass the House.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 01, 2013, 12:10:48 AM

I hope it ends in a bloody civil war where my side wins.

I'm sorry, but the South won't be rising again.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 12:14:25 AMIn all likelihood The speaker will allow the loopier GOP members to have their little tantrum for now, but will bring a bill to deal with the debt ceiling to a vote that will get enough votes to pass the House.

Oh, I don't doubt they'll pass a bill to raise the debt ceiling; but it'll probably have defunding Obamacare attached to it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 12:27:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 12:14:25 AMIn all likelihood The speaker will allow the loopier GOP members to have their little tantrum for now, but will bring a bill to deal with the debt ceiling to a vote that will get enough votes to pass the House.

Oh, I don't doubt they'll pass a bill to raise the debt ceiling; but it'll probably have defunding Obamacare attached to it.

Nah, they'll put a serious one up.  Boehner can't control his own caucus, be he can get enough of them along with Democrats to move something if absolutely required.

Tamas

I think this rightwing tantrum is a disgrace to the US.

I am wondering what is the point of a debt ceiling if you just raise it whenever it is inconvenient, though.

Brazen

Chuck Hagel's message to DoD military and civilian personnel basically says, "Sucks to be you, but thank you for your service!"

Camerus

Sounds like the organization I work for.  Actually, I wonder if it's possible the US govt is even more dysfunctional?  :hmm: