The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 30, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
I like Boehner and I think he's one of the few Republicans who would go for a deal (on most subjects) unfortunately the party are just very extreme now. Herding cats doesn't even cover the difficulty any leader would have dragging them to a reasonable position.

It probably doesn't help that, from what I can tell, there are so many peacocks around the House Republicans, preening to become Speaker once they decide to dump Boehner.

I keep on thinking some sense will get through but the GOP really look like Labour in the 80s :(

Boehner is a pleasant coward, I'll give him that.  The problem is that even a pleasant coward is a coward.  Boehner could have the deal done any time he wanted to.  All it would require is the slightest exhibition of leadership.  He doesn't want to do that, though, as it would make some people mad at him, and he won't have that.  Better to fuck over the people who elected him than upset someone who works with him.

You are right that there are a fair number of peacocks looking at his job.  That's one of the reasons Boehner won't actually do his job: he loves being Speaker more than he wants to actually act the Speaker.

I think Cantor is a prick and a moron, but he'd be a better Speaker, because he wouldn't be afraid to act the Speaker.  He wouldn't get anything done, but that would be an honest impasse, as opposed to the current cowardly one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2013, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 30, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
My God, he's going to start a war.
The chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one he said
The chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one...
but, still, they come.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

No one could have imagined that in the early years of the 21st Century....
PDH!

Josephus

ooh...nice reference to an old forgotten prog rock classic
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2013, 07:24:13 AM
So is Siege going to going to get paid on time?

Uninterrupted military pay has been signed off on.

citizen k

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 30, 2013, 06:06:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2013, 07:24:13 AM
So is Siege going to going to get paid on time?

Uninterrupted military pay has been signed off on.

The Coors Light must flow.

Ed Anger

I am available to be dictator for a year. A year of my steady, bloody hand on the ship of state will do the United States wonders.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

The lists of those to be proscribed are all drawn up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on September 30, 2013, 07:07:33 PM

All with only one name.....

Tim
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 30, 2013, 07:16:50 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 30, 2013, 07:07:33 PM

All with only one name.....

Tim
Not Dorsey or that ranger spec ops ninja guy, or Lady Europa, or Emmauk, or BiB, or Hamilcar, Rocky HOrror, Rocky, Rocket, ITBitch?
PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2013, 07:27:47 PMNot Dorsey or that ranger spec ops ninja guy, or Lady Europa, or Emmauk, or BiB, or Hamilcar, Rocky HOrror, Rocky, Rocket, ITBitch?

Ah... you see... there's a department tasked with changing appropriate people's names to "Tim" whether they want it or not.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2013, 04:13:02 PM
Looks like a shutdown is going to happen...

All this fuss, just to make sure I can't get affordable healthcare.  The GOP hasn't made me feel this special since the Willie Horton ads scared me about black people.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2013, 04:54:10 PM
I think Cantor is a prick and a moron, but he'd be a better Speaker, because he wouldn't be afraid to act the Speaker.  He wouldn't get anything done, but that would be an honest impasse, as opposed to the current cowardly one.

Maybe, but Cantor is just creepy.  And not in a Lindsay Graham way, either.

Jacob

Ideologue

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 30, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)