The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
It's only obstructionist if it's the other side.  If it's your side, you're "principled".

Exactly.  Case in point, the attempt to defund GW2.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 08:19:54 PM
It's only obstructionist if it's the other side.  If it's your side, you're "principled".

They ever shut down the government on that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM

Exactly the same number of times as it has been shut down during the Obama administration.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM

Exactly the same number of times as it has been shut down during the Obama administration.

Fair enough, though I may repeat the question a few days from now.  What exactly were the bills then that would have defunded the Iraq war, and when were the funding crises?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

There's a bit of a PR problem between trying to put the brakes on an unpopular, unnecessary war 5 years after it started, compared to shutting down the government in order to prevent people from obtaining healthcare.

I mean, I know you don't want me to have insurance, and I'm cool with that, but think of the little children who may need it.  Like, babies and shit.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2013, 07:12:26 AM

There's a bit of a PR problem between trying to put the brakes on an unpopular, unnecessary war 5 years after it started, compared to shutting down the government in order to prevent people from obtaining healthcare.

I mean, I know you don't want me to have insurance, and I'm cool with that, but think of the little children who may need it.  Like, babies and shit.

If they want healthcare the damned well better have been born wealthy.

Razgovory

garbon

Really? Think of the children bullshit? Ugh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2013, 07:34:51 AM

Think of all the future shareholders.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2013, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2013, 07:34:51 AM

Think of all the future shareholders.

Didn't we already see they won't have any money till they are in their 30s? All my good years will be through with by then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2013, 03:35:16 AM
Fair enough, though I may repeat the question a few days from now.  What exactly were the bills then that would have defunded the Iraq war, and when were the funding crises?

wut?

derspiess

Funny you mentioned unpopular & unnecessary, as Obamacare is both.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2013, 12:27:41 PM

Funny you mentioned unpopular & unnecessary, as Obamacare is both.

Guess it depends on which sound vacuum you're in.  It's pretty popular and, as it turns out, pretty necessary, over here.  Maybe it's different for you guys over in Cracker Dumbfuckistan.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 07:41:21 PMNo they're not.  They're only defunding Obamacare, and they've already signaled that the government is not going to shut down.

They're not shutting down the government over Obamacare? That's good :)

You figure they'll blow up the full faith and credit of the US over Obamacare?

QuoteHow much longer until the spellcheck is OK with Obamacare?

Heh :)

Admiral Yi