The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 30, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2013, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2013, 04:54:10 PM
I think Cantor is a prick and a moron, but he'd be a better Speaker, because he wouldn't be afraid to act the Speaker.  He wouldn't get anything done, but that would be an honest impasse, as opposed to the current cowardly one.

Maybe, but Cantor is just creepy.  And not in a Lindsay Graham way, either.

But we knew you were an anti-semite.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 30, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
I like Boehner and I think he's one of the few Republicans who would go for a deal (on most subjects) unfortunately the party are just very extreme now. Herding cats doesn't even cover the difficulty any leader would have dragging them to a reasonable position.

It probably doesn't help that, from what I can tell, there are so many peacocks around the House Republicans, preening to become Speaker once they decide to dump Boehner.

I keep on thinking some sense will get through but the GOP really look like Labour in the 80s :(

Boehner is a pleasant coward, I'll give him that.  The problem is that even a pleasant coward is a coward.  Boehner could have the deal done any time he wanted to.  All it would require is the slightest exhibition of leadership.  He doesn't want to do that, though, as it would make some people mad at him, and he won't have that.  Better to fuck over the people who elected him than upset someone who works with him.

You are right that there are a fair number of peacocks looking at his job.  That's one of the reasons Boehner won't actually do his job: he loves being Speaker more than he wants to actually act the Speaker.

I think Cantor is a prick and a moron, but he'd be a better Speaker, because he wouldn't be afraid to act the Speaker.  He wouldn't get anything done, but that would be an honest impasse, as opposed to the current cowardly one.

I'm curious why Boehner is a coward here and why cantor is superior.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

I'm curious as to why the House Repuiblicans just don't demand Obama resign.  If you are going to make unreasonable demands, you might as well make big ones.

sbr

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2013, 09:02:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2013, 07:40:59 PM

Maybe, but Cantor is just creepy.  And not in a Lindsay Graham way, either.

But we knew you were an anti-semite.

If you're going to go creepy, at least do it in a lilting Carolinian style, heart all fluttery and my stars, I do declare.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

It's after midnight. Yay for America.

And I'm going to enroll for healthcare coverage tomorrow anyway, so suck on that all you Obama- and CdM-haters.  You want to kill me, you're going to need a bigger shutdown, fuckers.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM
They ever shut down the government on that?

Exactly the same number of times as it has been shut down during the Obama administration.

Yeah, so about that equivalency thing...

Admiral Yi

What about it?

I was using the example to support Seedy's point about the relativity of obstructionism and principle.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2013, 11:12:40 PM
What about it?

I was using the example to support Seedy's point about the relativity of obstructionism and principle.

Not obstructionism in action?

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 29, 2013, 07:42:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2013, 07:15:34 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 29, 2013, 07:06:46 PM
Still a  :zzz . Even if it does shut down, which it wont, I'll still be working.

Not that with the tattoo ban coming down the pipe.

DoD Civilian Sparky. ;)

Hey, 50% of you guys are getting cut.  Good luck this month.