The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

No paved roads means I can't drive to work, and no internet means I can't work, so you'll have to try harder than that grumbler. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 10:25:00 AM
No paved roads means I can't drive to work, and no internet means I can't work, so you'll have to try harder than that grumbler. :(
It isn't essential that you drive to work, and it isn't essential that you are employed in a job where the internet is necessary.  It has been done by millions in this country and even more throughout the world.  Sorry, but if you want only the "essentials" from government, you'll have to do without the luxuries, like a good job.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
When I saw the fallout and that all essential workers and programs would continue to be paid/funded, I had to wonder: shouldn't everything the government does be essential, and shouldn't it not be doing anything beyond that? :hmm: :sleep:

Where does that leave federal parks and reserves? And the FDA doesn't count as 'essential' but I'd guess most people agree that it's important. Highways, bridges, and non-essential infrastructure falls in there, too.

It's all well and good to say what the government should or shouldn't do, but those 'non-essentials' are part of what keep us from being like third-world nations.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2013, 10:09:36 AM
Like trying to win an election so they could turn back Obamacare?

There's a question of the best way to go about doing that.  Plus there's the issue of Obamacare being much harder to turn back once it's been in place for a period of time.  I don't honestly know what the best strategy is for the GOP-- every one I can think of has serious negatives.

I think it's because he's been very lucky in his enemies.

That's part of the equation, for sure.  The other part of it is that he has a significant floor limit in terms of the % of the public that will support him no matter what. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Rasputin on October 01, 2013, 10:01:30 AM
life without the federal governement feels much the same as life without the national hockey league when it canceled the hockey season a few years back...I miss neither, and my life is unaffected.

I'm not sure we should ever restore funding to the feds beyond what's needed to blow up foreigners.

Yeah, most of the federal government is still functioning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Well the non-farm payroll numbers didn't come out today, so the market is up. Anybody else notice anything?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: frunk on October 01, 2013, 10:16:07 AM
If Obama would have stared them down the first time they tried to pull this we wouldn't of had the annual repeats.  Instead we get to regularly suffer through the grandstanding and time wasting.

Yep. Absolutely agree. This comes down as much to poor leadership by Obama as ignorance by the Tea Party wing of the Repubs Party.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 01, 2013, 10:01:30 AM
life without the federal governement feels much the same as life without the national hockey league when it canceled the hockey season a few years back...I miss neither, and my life is unaffected.

I'm not sure we should ever restore funding to the feds beyond what's needed to blow up foreigners.
When I saw the fallout and that all essential workers and programs would continue to be paid/funded, I had to wonder: shouldn't everything the government does be essential, and shouldn't it not be doing anything beyond that? :hmm: :sleep:

No.  Why would you think that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 10:39:36 AM
There's a question of the best way to go about doing that.  Plus there's the issue of Obamacare being much harder to turn back once it's been in place for a period of time.  I don't honestly know what the best strategy is for the GOP-- every one I can think of has serious negatives.

The thing is that the last presidential election was essentially "Should we repeal Obamacare?" If so, vote in Romney. And Romney lost. So it's fair to say that the majority of the US wants to keep Obamacare. It's been made into a law - which required bi-partisan approval to get it through the House - and signed by the president. Even the Supreme Court has said, "Yes, this is a valid law."

There are far better things to spend our time on than repealing something that most people want.

derspiess

What planet are you on, Meri?  Public opinion polls do not show that most people want Obamacare.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 10:46:43 AM
It's been made into a law - which required bi-partisan approval to get it through the House - and signed by the president.

Obamacare became law before the first midterm, when Democrats controlled the House.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 10:54:00 AM
It's been made into a law - which required bi-partisan approval to get it through the House - and signed by the president.

Obamacare became law before the first midterm, when Democrats controlled the House.

That doesn't actually contradict what she said.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 10:50:35 AM
What planet are you on, Meri?  Public opinion polls do not show that most people want Obamacare.

Oh? I beg to differ.

Link

QuotePolls consistently show that Americans aren't happy with Obamacare. They think the law will make health care more expensive, and decrease its quality. But a new survey of 1,976 registered voters finds that only 33 percent believe that the health law should be repealed, delayed, or defunded. 29 percent believe that "Congress should make changes to improve the law," 26 percent believe that "Congress should let the law take effect" and see what happens, and 12 percent believe that the law should be expanded. The bottom line? Voters are skeptical that Obamacare will live up to Democrats' hype. But they also believe that it should be given a chance to succeed.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 10:55:57 AM

That doesn't actually contradict what she said.

I was trying to point out that her premise was flawed.

merithyn

Fair enough, but it still made it through the required hoops to be a law, and when given the opportunity to overthrow it, voters re-elected Obama rather than bring Romney in.