If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 02:35:19 PM
I don't think it is.  Where is the motivation to work for free?  That like playing poker for play money.

It depends on what you're doing, doesn't it? If I had the opportunity to work 20 hours a week volunteering for something like the library, I'd be happy as hell.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 02:35:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2013, 01:57:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
It's hard to not mentally decompose once you stop working, so no.

Well I would not stop working, but working for free is alot more fun than working for your bread money.
I don't think it is.  Where is the motivation to work for free?  That like playing poker for play money.

You're doing what you want, can work at your own pace, and have the comfort in knowing you can always walk away from it if it starts to piss you off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
You're doing what you want, can work at your own pace, and have the comfort in knowing you can always walk away from it if it starts to piss you off.
In that case it's really a hobby then and not work.  Then again, I suppose that working when you can quit is a hobby too in some sense.  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 11:10:23 AM
A BK Quad Stacker can be special? :huh:

Apparantly for DG anyway.  Not my idea of a fancy meal by any stretch.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 03:30:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
In that case it's really a hobby then and not work.  Then again, I suppose that working when you can quit is a hobby too in some sense.  :hmm:

Work and hobby are not mutually exclusive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: dps on September 18, 2013, 06:35:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 11:10:23 AM
A BK Quad Stacker can be special? :huh:

Apparantly for DG anyway.  Not my idea of a fancy meal by any stretch.
It's fancier than BK Triple Stacker.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I've started going to Burger King more frequently.  The one near my office has one of those cool drink mixing machines where you can get a ton of different flavors of Coke and get it with or without caffeine.  It's also right across the street from the plant where Ford makes the F-250 thru F-550, which gives me a boner.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

I bet you mix and match your Slurpee flavors, too.  Country ass.

Caliga

I don't drink Slurpees, and even if I did I'd be SOL because we don't have any 7-11s here.  CIRCLE K Y'ALL
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

I am not convinced that it is healthy to have work be the point of your life, especially if you are just an employee instead of running your own business.

Razgovory

I voted for the "absoultely", because, let's face it, I don't have a lot going on now as it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on September 18, 2013, 12:57:06 PM
QuoteRe: If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you? 

I'm so close to that now and it's getting so hard to work. I've kind of "hit the wall", especially after last summer's illness and having ongoing minor medical issues for the past year, I've really had it with having to be on the job, any job. Maybe something fun and creative would be a nice change that I would want to work for but otherwise I really just want to spend time doing whatever I want. Funny too because I always figured I'd be wanting to work until my mid-late 60s before retiring but I can't wait to stop. A very different frame of mind from any I've had towards working. A couple of retired neighbors said the same thing, that they just got to a point and said they're ready to call it quits and retired early. One a teacher and the other a maintenance guy for a College, both were good jobs and benefits.

Kronn, I'm in a similar frame of mind for similar and also different reasons. 

I just need to come up with one last workable business idea, that I can throw myself into and that'll see me up to retirement.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2013, 08:07:14 PM
I've started going to Burger King more frequently.  The one near my office has one of those cool drink mixing machines where you can get a ton of different flavors of Coke and get it with or without caffeine.  It's also right across the street from the plant where Ford makes the F-250 thru F-550, which gives me a boner.

I don't like that machine with the ton of flavors of Coke. I think there is a reason that regular coke is the most commonly sold version.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.