If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

Ideologue

Oh, I missed that.

I'd still take it, I guess.  A guaranteed income like that has a lot of value.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Yeah... if the guaranteed income is trading up from where you are and where you expect you can reach, that's quite different from if it's trading down from where you are currently.

Ideologue

I mean, there's a decent chance I could get a job paying $45k+.

But why chance a sure thing on the marginal value (especially when you take opportunity cost of working into account), especially when the prospect of catastrophe has not been foreclosed?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2013, 06:56:18 PM
Yeah... if the guaranteed income is trading up from where you are and where you expect you can reach, that's quite different from if it's trading down from where you are currently.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 24, 2013, 06:34:42 PM
IMO, I would never be satisfied with any definition of ok. I don't think that's possible for homo sapiens. We're too restless for that. I would always need to be working on the next project or whatever, and I think most everyone would also--whether we know it or not.

I think it's easy to think this way when you're constantly struggling to make ends meet financially like most people are, or struggling to keep the bears out of the cave so your kids don't eaten or whatever. But I think most people, even if given an unlimited amount of wealth, would not be ok with that. They'd still be unsatisfied. I know I would.

I don't agree with this. First of all, most people dislike their job. Second, in my experience most people will rather not use their brain at all if they can get away with it.

As for the few that could become restless without something to do, they could always use their newly found spare time to take on personal projects or volunteer to help others without pay.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on September 25, 2013, 05:30:26 AM
IMO, I would never be satisfied with any definition of ok. I don't think that's possible for homo sapiens. We're too restless for that. I would always need to be working on the next project or whatever, and I think most everyone would also--whether we know it or not.

I think it's easy to think this way when you're constantly struggling to make ends meet financially like most people are, or struggling to keep the bears out of the cave so your kids don't eaten or whatever. But I think most people, even if given an unlimited amount of wealth, would not be ok with that. They'd still be unsatisfied. I know I would.

I don't agree with this. First of all, most people dislike their job. Second, in my experience most people will rather not use their brain at all if they can get away with it.

As for the few that could become restless without something to do, they could always use their newly found spare time to take on personal projects or volunteer to help others without pay.

While I lean more towards what you are saying than MiM, I don't think in general that happiness would increase if there were more people who didn't have to work because they were financially set for life. The problems just change.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 25, 2013, 05:30:26 AM

While I lean more towards what you are saying than MiM, I don't think in general that happiness would increase if there were more people who didn't have to work because they were financially set for life. The problems just change.

The most unhappy, self destructive people I know are in the idle rich grouping. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Under the circumstances described, I don't think anyone could confuse them for the idle rich. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 10:07:38 AM
Under the circumstances described, I don't think anyone could confuse them for the idle rich. ;)

But still idle.

crazy canuck

The main difference between the idle rich and the idle poor is that the idle rich have the means to do some serious damage to themselves and perhaps more importantly to others.

The Larch

Under the poll conditions you don't have to be idle, it's just that you can't have a salary. Thus, volunteering, charities or similar non for profit ventures would be ok.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 10:11:11 AM

But still idle.

That's one option, but not one that I'd choose. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 10:11:11 AM

But still idle.

That's one option, but not one that I'd choose. :)

I'd have to be. I wouldn't be able to afford the things I like to do. :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 02:26:54 PM
I'd have to be. I wouldn't be able to afford the things I like to do. :(

You could just do them in a smaller city.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?