If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2013, 02:34:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 02:26:54 PM
I'd have to be. I wouldn't be able to afford the things I like to do. :(

You could just do them in a smaller city.

Like Philadelphia, a land of people who spend their time wishing they were in NYC?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 03:26:23 PM

Like Philadelphia, a land of people who spend their time wishing they were in NYC?
Why would you wish to be in NYC? :x

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 03:41:58 PM

Why would you wish to be in NYC? :x

:huh:

Caliga

:blink:

I challenge you to make that observation aloud in Center City Philadelphia and not get all of your teeth knocked out. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 03:44:50 PM

I challenge you to make that observation aloud in Center City Philadelphia and not get all of your teeth knocked out. :)

Truth hurts?

mongers

You should live on the top of a hill.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Ewww, Filthadelphia.

Some aspects of downtown are nice.  Museums and touristy spots rock, and some very nice restaurants.  Don't think I'd want to live there to work, though.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2013, 03:47:13 PM
Ewww, Filthadelphia.

Some aspects of downtown are nice.  Museums and touristy spots rock, and some very nice restaurants.  Don't think I'd want to live there to work, though.
I'm not trying to say Philly is better than NYC.  I have no opinion on that really.  But I'm quite sure that your typical Philadelphian does NOT 'spend their time wishing they were in NYC'. :contract:

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:44:23 PM
NYC is a place where you get the least quality of life for the most amount of money.  Unless you really crave its social scene, I really see no compelling reason for living there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
NYC is a place where you get the least quality of life for the most amount of money.  Unless you really crave its social scene, I really see no compelling reason for living there.

Why do you think there is a low quality of life there?  When I think of NYC I think of the all the amazing things I could do there that I couldnt do here - and I live in a pretty amazing place. :)

Caliga

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 03:44:50 PM

It is in center city that I've heard the view expressed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, Cal, I think there is a difference as the people I interact with are not the life long Philadelphians but one's who have moved there at some point and will likely move away.

MadImmortalMan

That's another thing that isn't the same for everyone, nor should it be. Also depending on perspective and viewpoint.

A thousand years ago nobody's idea of being ok or having a good quality of life included indoor plumbing or electricity. What you know informs what you want, and so does personal preference.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2013, 03:50:22 PM

Why do you think there is a low quality of life there?  When I think of NYC I think of the all the amazing things I could do there that I couldnt do here - and I live in a pretty amazing place. :)

Yeah but DG has pretty narrow interests and recall that he dislikes travel as he thinks that consists of just checking off things that you've seen.