If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

merithyn

When I say "financially okay", I don't mean that you've won the lottery or that you get a full-pay retirement package. I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Would you leave your job?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadBurgerMaker

Barrister

I have kids to raise, and the amount you list is much less than what I currently earn.  So no, not now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

$50,000 a year?  Yeah.  Fuck yeah.

However: I would probably try continue to work in some capacity, just not my non-job job.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

I don't currently make 4 times the poverty line. I'm willing to get that & still work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I did vote "would have to think about it" and by that I mean I'd have to look at the tax implications.

If I'm earning $50k for jack shit, I'm going to be paying the rich person rate for $35/40/45k/$? of tedium.  While taxes are important, I've always felt that they very unfairly impact people who actually work more.  I don't mean are more valuable, but literally labor more severely.  This doesn't really apply here, but there's still a serious disincentive issue.

In any event, what I mean is I'd have to see how much my take-home on my wages would be.  If it's less than $10hr, ha ha, no fucking way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

It sort of depends what you mean...

I might take a look at my financial obligations, this guaranteed income, and my free time and attempt to grow that into something larger.

If the question is - would you take $40K - $60K/year (depending on how we define poverty line; this could also apply to an individual) and not earn any other income for the rest of your life, then no.

If the question is - would you take that amount and not ever draw a salary again, except from a company you own, then yes (assuming my wife can still work, if not, then fuck no).

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2013, 01:35:41 PM

If the question is - would you take $40K - $60K/year (depending on how we define poverty line; this could also apply to an individual) and not earn any other income for the rest of your life, then no.

This
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

I've never had a job that either payed that much or was enjoyable, so definitely.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2013, 01:35:41 PM

This

Okay.

I'll go vote no then.

Jacob

... or rather "not likely" 'cause I like to hedge my bets a bit.

MadImmortalMan

Not if it's free. If I'm drawing that income from the investing I've done then yes.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Based on Jacob's clarification of the question.  No way.  Not nearly enough.