If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

garbon

:hmm:

Before reading OP, I voted absolutely based on question. Then with stipulation on how much income it was, voted no way. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 01:50:24 PM
:hmm:

Before reading OP, I voted absolutely based on question. Then with stipulation on how much income it was, voted no way. -_-

Ditto.  My kids would hate me, and rightfully so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

I don't know, I'm too busy trying to figure out what the regional locality increase is to charge for hand jobs to do any more math today.

Ideologue

I was tremendously annoyed with the folks who think $50k (PPP index SC) is not enough to live on.

Then again I made $45k last year.  Hmm.  OK.  You have a point.

Get a two-income household though and blast that to $100k?  That's aristo livin'.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 02:02:35 PM
Get a two-income household though and blast that to $100k?  That's aristo livin'.

Where you are maybe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM
When I say "financially okay", I don't mean that you've won the lottery or that you get a full-pay retirement package. I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Would you leave your job?

Poverty here is defined as having less than 60% of the average net income, which for a single is about 950 Euro. Living off 240% of the average net income, i.e. 3800 Euro/month net is very comfortable here. That would actually put you among the top 10% or so of the population. So the only reasons not to take this would be the chance to earn even more (i.e. be among the top 5% or so) or boredom without a job.

crazy canuck

Whenever median family income reports come out for this area I wonder who the heck can live on that.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Do you mean stay at the dollar amount that's currently 4 times the poverty line, or stay at 4 times the poverty line?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

Where you are maybe.

I was gonna say 8X the poverty line in NYC, but...

I looked it up--do they really not calculate poverty line by geographical location?  That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of.  What's the point?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: dps on September 17, 2013, 02:12:37 PM
I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Do you mean stay at the dollar amount that's currently 4 times the poverty line, or stay at 4 times the poverty line?

Does it matter? When we're forced to engage in nuclear combat with the Commies 4 times the poverty line won't put food on your table.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

Quote from: BrainDoes it matter? When we're forced to engage in nuclear combat with the Commies 4 times the poverty line won't put food on your table.

Who's "we"?

Quote from: dpsstay at 4 times the poverty line?

Actually a good point to be made is that--as garb illustrated obliquely--the poverty line is such an inadequate sum, and could become even more inadequate as time passes or depending upon your locale, I'd rather the OP just said "$11k in 2013 dollars."  Not bagging on you, Meri.  I thought it was a)higher and b)at least adjusted for geography, so the confusion was mine.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

Where you are maybe.

I was gonna say 8X the poverty line in NYC, but...

I looked it up--do they really not calculate poverty line by geographical location?  That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of.  What's the point?

Actually apparently New York City has its own calculation. Still low though as it is 2 parent, 2 children on 31k is poor. NYT article then listed fed government says 22 for same family. :hmm: