If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

It's hard to not mentally decompose once you stop working, so no.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2013, 04:30:46 PM

I know I'll be doing stuff like finding real estate investments to work on after I retire. It won't be just idle time. There's always a project out there. Travel to do, etc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

One can keep himself busy without having to work. Don't you have hobbies or other interests? Being financially secure frees lots of time to devote to what you really enjoy doing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2013, 03:09:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 02:43:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2013, 02:26:12 PM
The reality is somewhat different:

What would you do if tomorrow your job quit you?

Sometimes I think it wouldnt be such a bad thing.  Then I remember what it is like to be poor and I pick up the next file  :D

Just to annoy you, I'll say "me, too".  :P

:D

I left the door wide open for you.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2013, 04:57:58 PM
One can keep himself busy without having to work. Don't you have hobbies or other interests? Being financially secure frees lots of time to devote to what you really enjoy doing.

I think it would be hard to replicate the kind of mental stimulation a person gets in a lot of job settings.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 05:04:28 PM

I think it would be hard to replicate the kind of mental stimulation a person gets in a lot of job settings.

And at the same time it's so enjoyable to get rid of all the bullshit.  :lol:

Ed Anger

How to replicate my last job for the man:

Put a bag of popcorn in the microwave. Let it burn. Enjoy the smell.
Sit in a office. Have the neighborhood knock on your door constantly.
Turn the Internet on and off at irregular intervals. To replicate IT, talk to the wall to your right.
To simulate business trips, put on a suit and check into a holiday inn.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2013, 04:30:46 PM

I think it is very easy to mentally decompose when working.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2013, 05:08:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 05:04:28 PM

And at the same time it's so enjoyable to get rid of all the bullshit.  :lol:
Most things are good in moderation, even the bullshit.  The less than fun times you have to suffer through sometimes make the good moments more enjoyable.  Plus, for me personally at least, it's nice to feel that what you're doing is very marginally contributing to something bigger.  Climbing a mountain or conquering the world in EU4 may feel personally fulfilling, but it leaves the world utterly unchanged.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2013, 05:10:49 PM
How to replicate my last job for the man:

Put a bag of popcorn in the microwave. Let it burn. Enjoy the smell.
Sit in a office. Have the neighborhood knock on your door constantly.
Turn the Internet on and off at irregular intervals. To replicate IT, talk to the wall to your right.
To simulate business trips, put on a suit and check into a holiday inn.

I made no claim that all jobs were mentally stimulating.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.