If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

Ideologue

I drank some water a couple of days ago because I didn't feel like going to the store right then.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Ok, Meri.

What does OK mean?"
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 12:01:33 PM
Which really just means "OK as in not really okay". :(

That's not true, actually. You could be okay on that amount. It would pay the bills and give you a bit left over if you were careful and intelligent in how you spent your money.

But no, it's not an excessive amount. You would definitely have to be careful with your spending.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 24, 2013, 12:34:09 PM

That's not true, actually. You could be okay on that amount. It would pay the bills and give you a bit left over if you were careful and intelligent in how you spent your money.

But no, it's not an excessive amount. You would definitely have to be careful with your spending.

No, I couldn't. Just with current and due expenses, I'd hit quite a crunch and would need to radically revise almost everything about my life.  I don't consider that "okay" though yes, it is certainly the case that I could still continue to live.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 12:39:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 24, 2013, 12:34:09 PM

No, I couldn't. Just with current and due expenses, I'd hit quite a crunch and would need to radically revise almost everything about my life.  I don't consider that "okay" though yes, it is certainly the case that I could still continue to live.

And that's why you voted no. For me, I could see doing so with no real problem.

Iormlund

Four times poverty line is twice the median income here. Absolutely.

MadImmortalMan

IMO, I would never be satisfied with any definition of ok. I don't think that's possible for homo sapiens. We're too restless for that. I would always need to be working on the next project or whatever, and I think most everyone would also--whether we know it or not.

I think it's easy to think this way when you're constantly struggling to make ends meet financially like most people are, or struggling to keep the bears out of the cave so your kids don't eaten or whatever. But I think most people, even if given an unlimited amount of wealth, would not be ok with that. They'd still be unsatisfied. I know I would.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Yeah, but is your job full of a primordial struggle to reach a top that isn't there?  Mine isn't.  I doubt most people's are.
Kinemalogue

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 24, 2013, 06:34:42 PM
IMO, I would never be satisfied with any definition of ok. I don't think that's possible for homo sapiens. We're too restless for that. I would always need to be working on the next project or whatever, and I think most everyone would also--whether we know it or not.

I think it's easy to think this way when you're constantly struggling to make ends meet financially like most people are, or struggling to keep the bears out of the cave so your kids don't eaten or whatever. But I think most people, even if given an unlimited amount of wealth, would not be ok with that. They'd still be unsatisfied. I know I would.

Not me.  If I could stop working and be comfortable I would do it in a heartbeat.  I don't know that Meri's definition of OK is enough, but it would be close if I didn't have my kids to worry about.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on September 24, 2013, 06:40:28 PM
Not me.  If I could stop working and be comfortable I would do it in a heartbeat.  I don't know that Meri's definition of OK is enough, but it would be close if I didn't have my kids to worry about.

Yeah, if I was single I am not sure I would still be doing what I do.  The temptation would be too great to find another lower paying job with a lot less stress.  Or just give it all up, sell my properties and just live on the proceeds of accumlated savings and investments.

But since its not just me I have to think of I earn for others.

Ideologue

That's the other thing.  I didn't understand Meri's hypothetical to involve a promise to never work again.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
That's the other thing.  I didn't understand Meri's hypothetical to involve a promise to never work again.

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2013, 01:35:41 PM

If the question is - would you take $40K - $60K/year (depending on how we define poverty line; this could also apply to an individual) and not earn any other income for the rest of your life, then no.

This

To me, then the hypothetical simply comes down to whether or not you currently make less (or around) than 4 times poverty in your country. And maybe with a modifier of if you are at a stage in your career/life that you aren't necessarily trying to increase your yearly income.