If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

crazy canuck

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 10:25:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2013, 04:59:25 AM
Dguller, you must have hobbies or stuff you would like to pick up as hobbies.
I do, but what makes them enjoyable is the scarcity of time to devote to them.  A life filled with nothing but pursuit of hobbies feels like an empty life to me.  Maybe the right balance is achieved with a 32-hour workweek rather than 40-hour workweek, but it's not going to be a 0-hour workweek.

Hobbies are like eating fancy food at a restaurant.  If you eat a BK Quad Stacker once a month, it's a treat for special occasions.  If you eat it everyday, it's just a daily routine.

My personal ideal is something like  "work 4 days a week, two months out of every three"; enough work that to be engaged and get involved, but enough time off to really enjoy it too.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2013, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:20:29 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 18, 2013, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2013, 10:58:17 AM
Most weeks I just do my government-mandated 37.5 hours. :)

We should've tried harder in 1812.

Why would you want to ruin BB's life?

Have you seen how close American elections get?

Not all that relevant given that none of your parties support the sane policies we have here in Canada.

KRonn

QuoteRe: If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you? 

I'm so close to that now and it's getting so hard to work. I've kind of "hit the wall", especially after last summer's illness and having ongoing minor medical issues for the past year, I've really had it with having to be on the job, any job. Maybe something fun and creative would be a nice change that I would want to work for but otherwise I really just want to spend time doing whatever I want. Funny too because I always figured I'd be wanting to work until my mid-late 60s before retiring but I can't wait to stop. A very different frame of mind from any I've had towards working. A couple of retired neighbors said the same thing, that they just got to a point and said they're ready to call it quits and retired early. One a teacher and the other a maintenance guy for a College, both were good jobs and benefits.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
It's hard to not mentally decompose once you stop working, so no.

Well I would not stop working, but working for free is alot more fun than working for your bread money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2013, 01:57:15 PM

Well I would not stop working, but working for free is alot more fun than working for your bread money.

:yes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2013, 01:57:15 PM

I don't think it is.  Where is the motivation to work for free?  That like playing poker for play money.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points