If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2013, 04:59:25 AM
Hells yeah if it meant decent living, so eg. I wouldn`t have to feed a family from that alone.

But financially okay is narrowly defined here...in fact, defined in such a way that I wouldn't consider it okay. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2013, 05:14:41 AM
Since old people are generally completely useless, I totally believe you.... what's the problem in her specific case? :hmm:

Nothing, really. She just takes too long to understand new concepts and isn't very detail oriented, which is a problem in billing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 08:33:29 AM
Hells yeah if it meant decent living, so eg. I wouldn`t have to feed a family from that alone.

But financially okay is narrowly defined here...in fact, defined in such a way that I wouldn't consider it okay. -_-

The thing is, for you, it could mean a pretty good living, just not in New York City. So, the question would be one of: Do I retire somewhere else, or stay working here?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 08:49:10 AM
Since old people are generally completely useless, I totally believe you.... what's the problem in her specific case? :hmm:

Nothing, really. She just takes too long to understand new concepts and isn't very detail oriented, which is a problem in billing.

But I'm sure she brings in some yummy cookies & brownies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 08:49:10 AM

But I'm sure she brings in some yummy cookies & brownies.

Oohh yeah. :mmm:

It's been zucchini bread most of the last month or so.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 08:50:10 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 08:33:29 AM

The thing is, for you, it could mean a pretty good living, just not in New York City. So, the question would be one of: Do I retire somewhere else, or stay working here?

I think we might have differing ideas on what is a good living. Even if I was out in the burbs (already a strike against good living for a single person in their 20s), I'm not buying it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 09:36:17 AM
I think we might have differing ideas on what is a good living. Even if I was out in the burbs (already a strike against good living for a single person in their 20s), I'm not buying it.

You could buy a place on a beach in Central America.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Dguller, you must have hobbies or stuff you would like to pick up as hobbies.
I do, but what makes them enjoyable is the scarcity of time to devote to them.  A life filled with nothing but pursuit of hobbies feels like an empty life to me.  Maybe the right balance is achieved with a 32-hour workweek rather than 40-hour workweek, but it's not going to be a 0-hour workweek.

Hobbies are like eating fancy food at a restaurant.  If you eat a BK Quad Stacker once a month, it's a treat for special occasions.  If you eat it everyday, it's just a daily routine.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 10:25:05 AM
I do, but what makes them enjoyable is the scarcity of time to devote to them.  A life filled with nothing but pursuit of hobbies feels like an empty life to me.  Maybe the right balance is achieved with a 32-hour workweek rather than 40-hour workweek, but it's not going to be a 0-hour workweek.

Hobbies are like eating fancy food at a restaurant.  If you eat a BK Quad Stacker once a month, it's a treat for special occasions.  If you eat it everyday, it's just a daily routine.

I suppose that depends on the hobbies involved.

I could easily fill all of my time taking care of my house, working on my hobbies (all 10 million of them), volunteering, and traveling.

garbon

Tamas

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.