Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2013, 07:59:14 PM
US government estimates 1,000 to 1,800 killed.

I think that when the situation gets to this point the US should lay the hammer down, even if it means the country will collapse, if only to show that this kind of savegery will not be tolerated by the civilized world.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/22/us-talks-syria-chemical-weapons-use-allegations

QuoteWashington is split over how to respond to the latest attack, which it believes may have killed between 1,000 and 1,800 people.

this is not even on the same scale as the savagery in Rwanda, where no hammers were laid down.

derspiess

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 23, 2013, 12:33:26 PM
this is not even on the same scale as the savagery in Rwanda, where no hammers were laid down.

That sure pissed Nick Nolte the hell off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2013, 07:04:40 PM
We should've always supported Ba'athism back in the day.  But noooo, smelled too much like communism.

It looked good on paper. Sadly it mutated into something quite nasty.

Nastier than Sharia bullshit?

No.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fhdz on August 23, 2013, 01:40:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2013, 07:04:40 PM
We should've always supported Ba'athism back in the day.  But noooo, smelled too much like communism.

It looked good on paper. Sadly it mutated into something quite nasty.

Nastier than Sharia bullshit?

No.

It got nasty before Islamism had a chance to.  See: hindsight, 20/20
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2013, 02:15:13 PM
It got nasty before Islamism had a chance to.  See: hindsight, 20/20

So it was no different than any other dictatorship.  Whoopdefuckingdo.

Admiral Yi

Only way we could have made kissy face with Baathists is if we had thrown our Jews under the bus.

OttoVonBismarck

Doing anything doesn't predictably help the United States at all. I see no play here. Any action we take is unlikely to help the United States. Doing nothing also ultimately does nothing to help the United States, but it also costs nothing.

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 23, 2013, 03:42:42 PM
Doing anything doesn't predictably help the United States at all. I see no play here. Any action we take is unlikely to help the United States. Doing nothing also ultimately does nothing to help the United States, but it also costs nothing.
Well, doing something helps put teeth into things we say.  Setting a red line, and then going "Ugh, I didn't think you would have balls to actually do it.  Asshole." when it's crossed doesn't help our reputation.

OttoVonBismarck

Well we are in complete agreement there DGuller. But as an Obama-skeptic I don't really think the international community takes America that seriously now. We've had so many shifts, resets, red lines etc that no one really thinks twice when acting "what will America do?" Obama is really popular here because he talks pretty and then doesn't do much of anything, but in the field of foreign relations shockingly other world leaders actually mostly react to what you actually do and not what you say you'll do or how well you can portray something as a "teachable moment."

Ultimately though, if one draws a line in the sand unwisely is it then wise to fight someone over crossing it? Or maybe once you've recognized the folly of drawing that line in the first place your next decision when it is crossed should be made based on what is in your best interests and not the childish desire to defend a line you never should have drawn in the first place?

The Brain

Likely DGuller seeks the downfall of America, and argues unwise action for this purpose.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 23, 2013, 04:25:17 PM
Ultimately though, if one draws a line in the sand unwisely is it then wise to fight someone over crossing it? Or maybe once you've recognized the folly of drawing that line in the first place your next decision when it is crossed should be made based on what is in your best interests and not the childish desire to defend a line you never should have drawn in the first place?
Our enemies need to know that our lines are our lines, even if when they were drawn while we were in drunken stupor.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2013, 02:32:31 PM
Only way we could have made kissy face with Baathists is if we had thrown our Jews under the bus.

Nonsense.  We made kissy face with the Saudis, the Egyptians, the Jordanians, and the Shah.  No Jews needed to be thrown under buses.  Hell, Egypt and Syria were the same country for a short period of time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2013, 07:42:20 PM
Nonsense.  We made kissy face with the Saudis, the Egyptians, the Jordanians, and the Shah.  No Jews needed to be thrown under buses.  Hell, Egypt and Syria were the same country for a short period of time.

We made kissy face with Egypt and Jordan after they had signed peace treaties with Israel.  IINM Iran under the Shah recognized Israel early on and certainly never engaged in hostilities with her.  By the time we were making kissy face with Saudi Arabia she had ceased participation in Arab-Israeli wars.  I think SA sent a mech battalion to fight in 67 and nothing in 73, if the boys at SPI knew what they were talking about.