Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2013, 10:05:38 AM
The Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Syria, nestled right next to the Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Iraq.

That is what we have now.
Assad is a puppet of the Ayatollahs and maintains what power he has on the sufferance of their Hezbollah cat's paw.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2013, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 21, 2013, 06:56:03 PM
I hope Assad wins. :)

I hope Assad is executed for treason by the Neo-Ottoman Empire.
I don't care what happens to the guy after he wins. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

The French did really well against those rebels in Mali, so no reason to think they cannot defeat Assad's army. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2013, 07:17:51 PM
Hindsight's always 20/20, but when the options are Islamic Revolutionary Republics sponsored by Tehran's IRG/Hezbollah franchises and Saudi-sponsored Wahabbist/AQ extremism, secular albeit tribalist Ba'athism doesn't seem so unattractive.
:yes: I have to say that all those Youtube videos with Allahu Akbar swayed me.  They kind of made me think of what would happen once Assad got a knife in his pooper.  As bad as pieces of shit of like Assad are, as long as they're not total unpredictable nuts like Saddam, the alternatives are worse and even more of a dead end.  I think the worst mistake of our policy over the last couple of decades was undermining the secular butchers instead of Saudi brain washers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2013, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2013, 07:17:51 PM
Hindsight's always 20/20, but when the options are Islamic Revolutionary Republics sponsored by Tehran's IRG/Hezbollah franchises and Saudi-sponsored Wahabbist/AQ extremism, secular albeit tribalist Ba'athism doesn't seem so unattractive.
:yes: I have to say that all those Youtube videos with Allahu Akbar swayed me.  They kind of made me think of what would happen once Assad got a knife in his pooper.  As bad as pieces of shit of like Assad are, as long as they're not total unpredictable nuts like Saddam, the alternatives are worse and even more of a dead end.  I think the worst mistake of our policy over the last couple of decades was undermining the secular butchers instead of Saudi brain washers.

I would argue that Saddam post-GW1 was about as predictable as they get.

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
What a fuckign mess.

Even if I operate under the assumption that this is a red line, and Syria has crossed, and the RotW MUST take action....what fucking action do we take?

I can't imagine what we should do that I could be convinced would have even a reasonable chance of resulting in some improved state of affairs.

Take out the regime? To be replaced by whom? 

It appears that the Eqyptian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood is looking for a new home....

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 22, 2013, 11:45:03 AM
The French did really well against those rebels in Mali, so no reason to think they cannot defeat Assad's army. :)

I know you are saying something assholish/sarcastic here because you used a smilie but since there is nothing unfactual about what you are saying I am confused :hmm: :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2013, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 21, 2013, 06:56:03 PM
I hope Assad wins. :)

I hope Assad is executed for treason by the Neo-Ottoman Empire.

I hope Bill in Sinton is declared president of Texas.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Is Bill still alive?  I haven't see anything from him crossposted on ShaggyBevo in a long time, including last season.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 22, 2013, 01:04:03 PM
Is Bill still alive?  I haven't see anything from him crossposted on ShaggyBevo in a long time, including last season.

He was a pretty old guy but if he is alive I am sure we will get a classic Bill post next week urging us not to look past New Mexico State.  The team cannot play well unless the fans are ready to get out there and give their all.

MadBurgerMaker

I'll definitely be applying maximum focusness to my watchespn/watchlhn stream.  I have to be in the DFW area for a damn wedding on kickoff weekend. Horrible.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers