News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 03:38:16 PM
My diet is going strong - I'm down 28 pounds.  :) Only 12 more to go to hit my maintenance target.

Did you do it by limiting your calories to a starvation level, like a mensch?  Or did you do it like a fhdz, and "exercise" off an ounce or two a week? :)

Seriously, congrats, that's a lot.  Good work. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2013, 03:32:37 PM
Did my first real ride of the year today - 20 mile round trip north of town.  Not too cold, a bit windy, but man I was not ready for that.  By the end (the last 4 miles) I was bonking and feeling a bit drunk.  Some carbs when I got back helped, and a nap helped more.

Not using those muscles in that way for 5 months made them rebellious.

:thumbsup:

More than I did today, just popped out and did 14 miles up and down the valley, and there ain't no mountains around here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

20 miles on an ass that hasn't biked in 5 months is nasty...especially the next day.  My plans now are to not bike till NEXT weekend.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2013, 03:14:55 PM
20 miles on an ass that hasn't biked in 5 months is nasty...especially the next day.  My plans now are to not bike till NEXT weekend.

:pinch:

I can images, especially if it's on a modern sports orientated one, rather than a more old fashion comfort saddle.

:console:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2013, 03:14:55 PM
20 miles on an ass that hasn't biked in 5 months is nasty...especially the next day.

Grallon's back.  Maybe we can get an expert opinion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I conducted a mass sacrifice of Peeps. Hopefully, the peep god will grant me strength.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Been doing push-ups, but don't seem to be improving a great deal.  Should I take some sort of steroid, or growth hormone?  Where would one find these products available for purchase?
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 04:44:47 PM
Been doing push-ups, but don't seem to be improving a great deal.  Should I take some sort of steroid, or growth hormone?  Where would one find these products available for purchase?

:rolleyes:

Ide, a few thoughts:
--if you are just starting doing push ups with a decent routine, you should see rapid improvement--if you aren't, something is probably wrong
--how many pushups can you do, how many are you doing, and in how many sets? How much recovery time do you have between sets?
--what other exercises are you doing for the relevant muscle groups, and how many times a week?
--if you aren't eating enough calories, you will never build muscle. Likewise, how much protein do you eat on an average day? Not enough protein is going to be a limiting factor as well.
--how long have you been doing the pushup routine?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 04:44:47 PM

:rolleyes:

Ide, a few thoughts:
--if you are just starting doing push ups with a decent routine, you should see rapid improvement--if you aren't, something is probably wrong

Yes.  I have no human growth.

Quote--how many pushups can you do, how many are you doing, and in how many sets? How much recovery time do you have between sets?

Gee, why don't you ask me how big my dick is?

25ish for first go with arms wide, 20 done properly with arms directly beneath shoulders for next set, every day in theory.  A lot of times I just do one.  I've been okayish about doing an average of at least one set a day (along with some other stuff) since, you know, singlehood.

I did 47 once. :(  That was like two years ago, and took a couple months to get to.

Quote--what other exercises are you doing for the relevant muscle groups, and how many times a week?

What's a relevant muscle group?  Is a tricep a relevant muscle group?  If not, I'm gonna say "none."

Quote--if you aren't eating enough calories, you will never build muscle. Likewise, how much protein do you eat on an average day? Not enough protein is going to be a limiting factor as well.

However much is in a veggie patty or egg + cheese sub at Subway (23g or 19g respectively) (about five days a week) or tofu burrito at Moe's (21g) (one day a week), plus whatever is in three cookies when I eat at Subway (chocolate is a protein) or tortilla chips and salsa when I eat at Moe's (i.e., 0g), and whatever I eat when I'm out with my lady friend.  Who doesn't need to know about how few push-ups I can do.

Quote--how long have you been doing the pushup routine?

I dunno.  Month?  Some stuff prior to that.  Seems like I should be doing sets of 30 or so by now by prior history.  Do you think my dieting has interfered with muscle building, so that I'm essentially treading water in regards that while I lose fat?  Could be worse, I suppose.  I have broken training, so to speak, a little bit based on the chance that a certain area's slow healing is due to lack of structural chemicals and/or energy storage chemicals being diverted or overused.  This involves eating somewhat more cookies or another small sub.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CDCRecommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
     Grams of protein
needed each day
Children ages 1 – 3    13
Children ages 4 – 8    19
Children ages 9 – 13    34
Girls ages 14 – 18    46
Boys ages 14 – 18    52
Women ages 19 – 70+    46
Men ages 19 – 70+    56

Huh.  Well, you're all a bunch of stinking murderers.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

For every animal you save, I'm eating three.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2013, 07:12:57 PM

Then I need to save even more animals.  It'll be hilarious when I've put you on a fatty scooter. :D
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:18:29 PM

Then I need to save even more animals.  It'll be hilarious when I've put you on a fatty scooter. :D

I'll just liquidate the animals then. No relocation to the east.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2013, 07:30:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:18:29 PM

I'll just liquidate the animals then. No relocation to the east.

:lol:
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Ide, it sounds like you are short on protein and probably calories.

Also, not to knock your routine too hard, but how long does it take to do a set of 25 pushups? Less than a minute? Maybe you could put in some extra sets, maybe some pull ups, and maybe some weights (curls, bench press). You could probably get some basic exercise equipment very cheap at Wal Mart or Target, and 10 minutes a day with a better diet would probably go a long way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014