News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I'm also having problems getting enough calories. My waist is still getting smaller, but I've seen no appreciable muscle mass increase for a while even though I'm still lifting. My weights continue to get heavier though. I think I just need to pack in a bunch of steaks or something. The thing is, I just don't have the appetite. I sat down for Easter dinner last night, had a handful of asparagus and a small piece of ham and didn't want any more. I literally cannot eat any meal in a restaurant and finish it.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Rode the 20 mile round trip twice - Saturday and today.  This time of the year it is cold, windy, and conditions change.  Still, it felt good to be able to do about 14 mph over a distance today.  A few more weeks of this and I will add the 2.5 mile climb that comes right at the 10 mile turnaround.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2013, 12:25:54 PM
Rode the 20 mile round trip twice - Saturday and today.  This time of the year it is cold, windy, and conditions change.  Still, it felt good to be able to do about 14 mph over a distance today.  A few more weeks of this and I will add the 2.5 mile climb that comes right at the 10 mile turnaround.

:thumbsup:

Given your neck of the woods, that isn't a 2.5 miles of climb up ? :unsure:

Funnily enough didn't do much yesterday when it was sunny.  But today popped down the valley, against a headwind, to visit a friend, we were going to take some photos at the sea, but abandoned the idea as it was rather overcast. 
So after a chat, I got out and there was still a bit of early evening light left, so I thought I'll go down to the sea front, ended up cycling all the way along the prom to Sandbanks(home to multi-millionaires) then up too Poole, from there along an old railway line to nr Wimborne in Dorset, then along a fast main road, till I cut off for the last 5-6 miles cross county to home, just needed my lights for the last 800 yards, so these late evenings can only get better.

Ended up doing 60+kms on my single speed, which I hadn't intended on doing, don't feel too bad considering I haven't done something like that in 5 months.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Sixty kilometers a second?  That's pretty good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on April 07, 2013, 03:49:29 PM
Sixty kilometers a second?  That's pretty good.

No, that's how quickly you life goes if you spend it moping about on the internet.   :P

Ideologue

I'm not moping.  I made the world a better place today.

Nothing that appears to redound to me in a material or measurable way, but whatever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2013, 03:38:39 PM

Yeah, the 25 mile round trip has after the 10 mile marker a 2.5 uphill (for about 1100 feet total elevation change), but the 2.5 down really doesn't count as part of the workout :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2013, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2013, 03:38:39 PM

Yeah, the 25 mile round trip has after the 10 mile marker a 2.5 uphill (for about 1100 feet total elevation change), but the 2.5 down really doesn't count as part of the workout :)

Yeah, but I bet it's fun.   :)

In comparison this evenings route started about 26ft above sea level, decended to around 5-6ft absl, may have touch 60ft near the harbour, before attaining the dizzy heights of about 80ft in the railway cutting on the way home. 

OK so those altitudes figures are plucked out of my arse, but you get the drift, no mountains, no hills over 1,000 ft for around 90 miles.  :D

PDH

If I get the road bike, I plan to do the 80 mile trip that crosses the Snowy Range to Saratoga.  Start at 7200 feet, ride up to 10,800 feet at the highway summit, then down to 6800 feet for the finish.

After a night at a hotel, it is back over the next day.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2013, 06:36:46 PM
If I get the road bike, I plan to do the 80 mile trip that crosses the Snowy Range to Saratoga.  Start at 7200 feet, ride up to 10,800 feet at the highway summit, then down to 6800 feet for the finish.

After a night at a hotel, it is back over the next day.

:cool:  envy.

Can people breath at those altitudes ? :unsure: :bowler:

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

Not doing at lot the moment.  :(

Ideologue

I walked a couple of miles today.  They were out of cookies at Subway, so for the first time, may actually eat my RDA of protein today.  Look, I have a budget, and there are trade-offs.
Kinemalogue

Maladict

Joined a gym on Friday, took the bike out for the first time yesterday. All is not lost yet.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on April 07, 2013, 10:01:40 PM
Americans can.

I have enough trouble breathing at sea level.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?