News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've just had a spot of the flu. Had to cancel a hiking castle viewing holiday because of it. :( Though on the plus side I ate very little for a few days.
That being pretty much over its time I stop my winter procastrination and get started on the gym again. Really haven't been much at all this month for various reasons.
The christmas chocolate is nearly gone so perhaps I can contemplate looking at what I eat too, as difficult as that is to keep track of.
As per usual weight isn't something that affects me, speaking in terms of losing x pounds means nothing, just gotta flatten the gut.....
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Popped out late yesterday to do a 14 mile round trip up the valley, tried to do it at a reasonable pace, a bit under 30 minutes each way; couldn't go that fast as having to go safely through road junctions/crossing roads in and out of town.
Not too bad, but clearly have lost a lot of fitness since last summer/autumn.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Someone on a weightlifting forum mentioned that his tolerance for alcohol went down since he started a paleo diet.

I thought that was interesting, since I have seen my tolerance go down too. I'm not eating paleo, but much closer to it than before. I also did intermittent fasting for about six months. So I'm not sure whether to attribute the difference to the food, the fasting, or just the fact that I lost a lot of weight.

Anybody doing either one of those notice this?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Well my drink tolerance has slowly eroded away since the age of 16-18 years, and I suspect it's broadly related to how fit you are, not that I'm super fit, but not bad for my age, meaning two pints of cider will now see my very merry.   
Can't comment on the palaeolithic jazz thing.

mongers

What madness is overtaking me, I'm looking at buying some running shoes. :gasp:

Found the ones I always used to use, Silver Shadows; am I click away from some new madness in that I'm nearly twice the age I was when I last ran seriously.   :hmm:

Caliga

Earned my orange belt in karate today. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
Earned my orange belt in karate today. :cool:

Congratulations! You didn't have to beat up any kids for it, did you? ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 05, 2013, 01:36:01 PM
I thought that was interesting, since I have seen my tolerance go down too. I'm not eating paleo, but much closer to it than before. I also did intermittent fasting for about six months. So I'm not sure whether to attribute the difference to the food, the fasting, or just the fact that I lost a lot of weight.

Anybody doing either one of those notice this?

I am doing a higher protein, lower carb regime right now, and I know this to be true.  The complex sugars hit me quite hard.  That is good, in fact - it keeps me away from more carbs in beer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on February 09, 2013, 04:34:13 PM
Congratulations! You didn't have to beat up any kids for it, did you? ;)
No. :(

mongers

Did very little exercise for 2/3 days, to the point of me beginning to fall apart.  :(

Managed to pop out early this evening and do 28 km down the valley on my little folding bike,  got it up to 23 mph on the flat.

Not too bad at about 2C and dry (hard concept for the English to understand, I think it's called non-rain)

Hope it blew away a couple of fitness cobwebs.

Caliga

I did sparring last night in karate.  I won two out of three matches. :cool:  I beat a blue belt and another orange belt, but lost to a... white belt. :wacko:

In my defense, the white belt is new to karate but definitely has past martial arts experience of some sort, and they're making him work his way through the ranks again.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 01:06:18 PM
I did sparring last night in karate.  I won two out of three matches. :cool:  I beat a blue belt and another orange belt, but lost to a... white belt. :wacko:

In my defense, the white belt is new to karate but definitely has past martial arts experience of some sort, and they're making him work his way through the ranks again.

:thumbsup:

I guess a competitive contact sport is a pretty good way of getting fit, what with as you describe the unexpected strengths and weaknesses of opponents,must get the heart rate pumping well.

Certainly a lot more intense exercise that the 10 miles of biking I did around town earlier.

Caliga

Yeah, sparring is a lot more intense of a workout than just regular karate drills.

My sensei told me I also have very good footwork, in that I'm good at dodging and maneuvering without stepping out of the ring (which is kind of an invisible line marked with little traffic cone things in the dojo).  I was the only student that got praised at the end. :showoff:

There's a tournament in April and I may actually go to it.  Even if I don't do that well I can always stand on the sidelines and shout "PUT HIM IN A BODYBAG!  YEEEAAAH!" and "SWEEP THE LEG, JOHNNY" and shit like that which none of the little pukes will understand. :)

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 02:30:57 PM
Yeah, sparring is a lot more intense of a workout than just regular karate drills.

My sensei told me I also have very good footwork, in that I'm good at dodging and maneuvering without stepping out of the ring (which is kind of an invisible line marked with little traffic cone things in the dojo).  I was the only student that got praised at the end. :showoff:

There's a tournament in April and I may actually go to it.  Even if I don't do that well I can always stand on the sidelines and shout "PUT HIM IN A BODYBAG!  YEEEAAAH!" and "SWEEP THE LEG, JOHNNY" and shit like that which none of the little pukes will understand. :)

:cool:

Sounds like a lot of fun, go for hit.

I've just remembered, a friend's friend is an ex-UK judo champion and he remained very fit for years, carrying on as a national coach. I think he's only really slowed down in the last couple of years on approaching 70.

And the only think that his sport may have stressed appear to be his knees, last time I saw him.

Caliga

Yeah, one of the reasons I don't do judo is because it rips your knees to shreds.  My younger brother is a brown belt in judo and his knees are toast.  When he got married back in November the photographer lady made him do this pose where he kneeled down and he could barely hold the position... his knees were shaking like he was having a seizure. :bleeding: