14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:27:32 AM
Volunteers at New York Cares have shared beliefs and values. :)

Hell my company talks about shared beliefs and values.

It warms my heart to hear that garbon.  Many things can share my beliefs and values but many are not religions.

Thanks for agreeing with my point. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 09:38:29 AM
Quote from: Count on October 11, 2012, 09:35:18 AM

Yeah, I really like the UU but I was still surprised at how starkly non-Christian it appeared. I think if I ever became religious I'd just go to a Reform temple, which has similar values but maintains some of the traditional stuff I like.

I wish there was a Reform Catholic Church. :( I suppose Episcapalian is close enough.  :hmm:

High Lutheran churches are pretty similar as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:40:13 AM
Thanks for agreeing with my point. :)

Those things do not share my spiritual beliefs and principles so they would fail at being a religion that would work for me.  They would be other things that would work for me.  So if your point is there are things in the world I do not find objectionable then...well well stated.  I just do not find it a particularly interesting point.

Anyway just to clarify what I meant by the idea that I thought my religion did social good I meant that I thought if society was more attuned to its spiritual teachings it would do society some good.  Not that they feed the hungry and shelter the homeless (which they do also but, as you say, lots of other organizations also do those things).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2012, 05:33:42 AM
Meanwhile, a pregnant teenage girl died in Poland of an intestine cancer because doctors refused to perform chemotherapy on her because, being devout Catholics, they thought it would be tantamount to an abortion.

Well, it's aborted now, isn't it?  <_<

I'm seriously starting to become more and more like Viking when it comes to religion, if only because of how the most popular religions abuse women. We seriously need a good push toward goddess-based religions to take hold if only for the sake of women.

Checks Meri off the list. Can't blame religion for your female lobular mutilation of your children though. This goddess shit is just hippy crap that is, well, crap. Listen to your son and go to the UU church, where there is no religion or dogma.

But seriously. I am sceptical about this polish chemotherapy murder by malpractice thing. I found an example of a report of a similar case in the dominican republic, but no reports of this kind from poland. I am inclined to doubt that this thing happened in poland OR that there are some significant vital facts that Marty is leaving out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Yeah, I really like the UU but I was still surprised at how starkly non-Christian it appeared. I think if I ever became religious I'd just go to a Reform temple, which has similar values but maintains some of the traditional stuff I like.

I wish there was a Reform Catholic Church. :( I suppose Episcapalian is close enough.  :hmm:

We had this thing called The Reformation back in the 16th century. It literally was a reform movement of the catholic church.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2012, 10:58:08 AM
Checks Meri off the list. Can't blame religion for your female lobular mutilation of your children though. This goddess shit is just hippy crap that is, well, crap. Listen to your son and go to the UU church, where there is no religion or dogma.

I had nothing to do with that. I left the decision up to the boys' atheist father, and he chose to chop them.  :sleep:

And what's wrong with hippy crap? In general, it tends to lead one to being nicer and to taking care of others. Not seeing any glaring issue there.

But seriously. I am sceptical about this polish chemotherapy murder by malpractice thing. I found an example of a report of a similar case in the dominican republic, but no reports of this kind from poland. I am inclined to doubt that this thing happened in poland OR that there are some significant vital facts that Marty is leaving out.

Hadn't thought that he's fabricate a story like this. Seems a silly thing to do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2012, 10:59:45 AM

We had this thing called The Reformation back in the 16th century. It literally was a reform movement of the catholic church.

As part of that though many churches got rid of ritual...now the point that I've been to churches which mainly consist of a rock band playing with bits of scripture stuffed around it. :bleeding:

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2012, 10:59:45 AM

*sighs*

I know, Viking. It was a joke. Hence the Episcapalian reference (ie the Church of England)?

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 11:01:19 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2012, 10:58:08 AM

I had nothing to do with that. I left the decision up to the boys' atheist father, and he chose to chop them.  :sleep:

And what's wrong with hippy crap? In general, it tends to lead one to being nicer and to taking care of others. Not seeing any glaring issue there.

Neil and Cartman are right about hippies. Just being nice and taking care of others just leads to some bullies stealing your stuff and you living in a dumpster.

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 11:01:19 AM

Hadn't thought that he's fabricate a story like this. Seems a silly thing to do.

I don't think he fabricated it. I think he selectively presented the facts or the fact were selectively presented to him.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 11:03:24 AM
*sighs*

I know, Valmy. It was a joke. Hence the Episcapalian reference (ie the Church of England)?

:o

Nobody has ever confused Viking and I before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 11:02:05 AM
As part of that though many churches got rid of ritual...now the point that I've been to churches which mainly consist of a rock band playing with bits of scripture stuffed around it. :bleeding:

Hell, before I left the Catholic Church, the one I attended in Schaumburg, IL, was like that. No kneelers (WTF??), no prayer candles, guitars and drums by the altar. And the "pews" were folding chairs. FOLDING CHAIRS!! *shudders*

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 11:05:43 AM
*sighs*

I know, Valmy. It was a joke. Hence the Episcapalian reference (ie the Church of England)?

Mea culpa.  :blush: I'll fix that.

Eddie Teach

Maybe you should take off the heels.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

*sighs*

I often don't get jokes. You (plural you) often don't get mine.

Queequeg

QuoteAnd what's wrong with hippy crap? In general, it tends to lead one to being nicer and to taking care of others. Not seeing any glaring issue there.
It is culturally, philosophically, historically and intellectually degenerate.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."