14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 09:13:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 08:52:17 AM
I want to cast fireball. Meri's hippie goddess sucks.

Well damn. If we're making up the religion, why can't we have fireballs?? :huh:

I'd like to sign up for bringing back Isis in the version where she conveniently couldn't find Osiris's penis and fashioned her own implantation device.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 09:01:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2012, 08:52:14 AM
Replacing their current religions with women-friendly woo cannot solve the problem - or rather, if you could change their culture to be more modern in its attitude towards women, why not simply change it to one that lacks woo altogether?

Because people like woo.  And a certain percentage of them seem to need woo.

Fair enough. There is nothing stopping people from having the woo they want and need and being socially progressive.

Hell, look at the Jews. Ain't nobody more backwards when it comes to women than the ultra-Orthodox - but if you want that Orthodox religiousity but want to ditch the anti-women stuff, you can be Reconstructionist. Many of my relations are.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:14:04 AM
I'm not sure on that. I'd think if we look over time that we have more people who don't belong to an organized religion than before.

Sure.  It helps when the social pressure to belong to one goes down.  But people are still nuts for woo and religion stuff.

QuoteAlso on your religion bit, that's like saying NewYorkCares is my religion. :rolleyes:

No it is saying I joined a religion that shares my beliefs and values Marty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 09:19:20 AM

My son - a devout atheist - joined the local Unitarian church for the youth group. I'm amazed at how important it's become in his life. He loves the "good works" aspect. I've never gone, but I think this Sunday I'm going to go to their service to see what it's all about. Their pamphlet was interesting, anyway.

I'm more of a ceremonialist (having been raised Catholic and all) so I need a bit more ritual in my services than I suspect the UUs have, but I'm trying to be open-minded. It would be nice to belong to a congregation again.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Volunteers at New York Cares have shared beliefs and values. :)

Hell my company talks about shared beliefs and values.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:27:32 AM
Volunteers at New York Cares have shared beliefs and values. :)

Hell my company talks about shared beliefs and values.

It warms my heart to hear that garbon.  Many things can share my beliefs and values but many are not religions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Count

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 09:23:30 AM

My son - a devout atheist - joined the local Unitarian church for the youth group. I'm amazed at how important it's become in his life. He loves the "good works" aspect. I've never gone, but I think this Sunday I'm going to go to their service to see what it's all about. Their pamphlet was interesting, anyway.

I'm more of a ceremonialist (having been raised Catholic and all) so I need a bit more ritual in my services than I suspect the UUs have, but I'm trying to be open-minded. It would be nice to belong to a congregation again.

I have a lot of friends who are Unitarians (and similarly were in the youth group in High School). None are religious. When I went to a service, there were no bibles in the church, and the pastor invoked basically every major religious figure outside of Christianity. I think it was the Easter service.  :lol:
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

katmai

God dammit! Who gave count directions to the site?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Count on October 11, 2012, 09:31:05 AM
I have a lot of friends who are Unitarians (and similarly were in the youth group in High School). None are religious. When I went to a service, there were no bibles in the church, and the pastor invoked basically every major religious figure outside of Christianity. I think it was the Easter service.  :lol:

Well if it is UU one of their big things is showing the common spiritual lessons of every religion. 

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 09:23:30 AM

WTF?  Count?  How's it going man?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Count

Also yeah we shouldn't (further) commit tons and tons of troops to Afghanistan (or god forbid Pakistan). We've managed to kill a hell of a lot of 14 year olds ourselves with our video game like drone strikes. It's not the same thing, of course, but this isn't the sort of thing we can solve with the military.

merithyn

My son's church (which still feels weird to say  :wacko: ) includes Xianity along with all of the others, I think. I was invited for a parents' night with the Youth Group, and there was a pretty good mix of symbolism etc.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2012, 09:32:59 AM
WTF?  Count?  How's it going man?

He said in the other thread he did not want any greetings SO STOP IT :P

Count

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 09:32:36 AM

Well if it is UU one of their big things is showing the common spiritual lessons of every religion.

Yeah, I really like the UU but I was still surprised at how starkly non-Christian it appeared. I think if I ever became religious I'd just go to a Reform temple, which has similar values but maintains some of the traditional stuff I like.

merithyn

Quote from: Count on October 11, 2012, 09:35:18 AM

Yeah, I really like the UU but I was still surprised at how starkly non-Christian it appeared. I think if I ever became religious I'd just go to a Reform temple, which has similar values but maintains some of the traditional stuff I like.

I wish there was a Reform Catholic Church. :( I suppose Episcapalian is close enough.  :hmm: