14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2012, 05:33:42 AM
Meanwhile, a pregnant teenage girl died in Poland of an intestine cancer because doctors refused to perform chemotherapy on her because, being devout Catholics, they thought it would be tantamount to an abortion.

Well, it's aborted now, isn't it?  <_<

I'm seriously starting to become more and more like Viking when it comes to religion, if only because of how the most popular religions abuse women. We seriously need a good push toward goddess-based religions to take hold if only for the sake of women.

It'd probably be best if more people let go of religion - not catch hold of another one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Can I cast magic missile with these goddess religions?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 08:41:56 AM
It'd probably be best if more people let go of religion - not catch hold of another one.

That ain't happening.  Which is why I decided to embrace a religion that I think will do social good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 08:45:54 AM

That ain't happening.  Which is why I decided to embrace a religion that I think will do social good.

If you say "Unitarian", I am gonna punch you in the nuts.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 08:47:30 AM
If you say "Unitarian", I am gonna punch you in the nuts.

Unitarian.  My faith protects me -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM

You only get to heal or cause wounds, depending on your alignment.  Oh, I think you can also turn undead.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2012, 05:33:42 AM
Meanwhile, a pregnant teenage girl died in Poland of an intestine cancer because doctors refused to perform chemotherapy on her because, being devout Catholics, they thought it would be tantamount to an abortion.

Well, it's aborted now, isn't it?  <_<

I'm seriously starting to become more and more like Viking when it comes to religion, if only because of how the most popular religions abuse women. We seriously need a good push toward goddess-based religions to take hold if only for the sake of women.

Religion isn't either the problem or the solution. The problem is that the folks who happen to follow these particular religions tend to be from conservative societies. They follow religions and they follow traditional ways concerning the status of women for the same reason - because they are, basically, from a backward, medieval-style culture. The world has moved on and they have not.

Replacing their current religions with women-friendly woo cannot solve the problem - or rather, if you could change their culture to be more modern in its attitude towards women, why not simply change it to one that lacks woo altogether?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 11, 2012, 08:51:25 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM

You only get to heal or cause wounds, depending on your alignment.  Oh, I think you can also turn undead.

I want to cast fireball. Meri's hippie goddess sucks.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2012, 08:52:14 AM
Replacing their current religions with women-friendly woo cannot solve the problem - or rather, if you could change their culture to be more modern in its attitude towards women, why not simply change it to one that lacks woo altogether?

Because people like woo.  And a certain percentage of them seem to need woo.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 09:00:54 AM
Call me Raistlin.

At one point in Everquest I grouped with four dudes all named different spellings of Raistlin.

Ed Anger

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2012, 08:52:17 AM
I want to cast fireball. Meri's hippie goddess sucks.

Well damn. If we're making up the religion, why can't we have fireballs?? :huh:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 08:45:54 AM

I'm not sure on that. I'd think if we look over time that we have more people who don't belong to an organized religion than before.

Also on your religion bit, that's like saying NewYorkCares is my religion. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.