News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on January 29, 2012, 05:12:56 PM
I do agree with CdM, here, but only tangently.

I do not get the feel that I am master of my own destiny like in other MMOs, but pulled on a train for storytelling - even if the storytelling is good. In LOTRO or EVE Online I can explore for fun, watch the scenery, and I'll find a quest somewhere near that I can fill. Here, the only reason to do more quests is to level up to be on par to the level required to continue the story.

It's not that it isn't fun, just that after doing the eight storylines I don't see the replayability of this game. And at level 50, the story ends on you and all you're left is doing flashpoints and PvP on a forgotton planet. They should have put in at least two more Chapters and lots of bonus series that requires level 50s so that the player keeps feeling that he has a role in that galaxy.

That makes a lot of sense.  WoW didnt have to add much content early on because it took so long to get to max level and then the end game (at max level) had several levels of gearing to get ready for the big raids.  People got to 50 in this game awfully fast and from what I understand there is not a whole lot to do yet in the end game.

Syt

Of course, a lot of levelling in early WoW was a bit on the grind side, which was one of the reasons why I quit in 2005.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2012, 12:06:03 PM
I've determined that, while this is an incredibly fun game, it allows you to level far too fast.

I have also determined something while playing this game, and that makes me conclude that you couldn't be more wrong. The story is cool in this game, but it also helps showing just how insanely EMPTY the regular MMO gameplay is. It does not offer challenge, it does not offer much fun, it does not make you learn or use your brain or reflexes. You just drool on your keyboard while smashing the same 4-button sequence over and over and over and over again.

Unless they come up with an even better theme for one, I am done with MMOs for good.

Syt

In my guild there's some who already have 2 or more characters at 50 (though they have significantly more playtime). One girl now only plays class quests and does the rest of levelling via PvP and space missions to avoid having to do the sidequests an umpteenth time.

My Juggernaut is at 43 (have played till early start), and I guess it'll be two, three weeks, till I hit the end of that road. And then I have my bounty hunter. And smuggler. So on stories alone I'll spend quite some time in this game.

Also, unlike other MMOs, it has yet to feel like grinding.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to enjoy playing this game right up to 50, then probably leave it for something else.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2012, 09:33:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to enjoy playing this game right up to 50, then probably leave it for something else.

Yeah, it's simply just not big enough.  Which is why I've tended to avoid other MMORPGs like Star Trek, TLOTR, etc.  Nothing is as big and as expansive and as robust and full of replayability as WoW and EVE.

CountDeMoney

Although, it is a nice change of pace from Orcs and Elves.

Berkut

THis is pretty much why I am in no hurry to get to level 50.

With WoW, once I got someone to max level, I quickly realized that game really didn't start until max level. From what I've seen, SW ends at max level.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2012, 10:51:31 AM

With WoW, once I got someone to max level, I quickly realized that game really didn't start until max level. From what I've seen, SW ends at max level.

Meh - that was only true if you were a serious raider.  I found levelling in WoW much more entertaining than being at max level.

Syt

But in the beginning - wasn't there just Molten Core to grind endlessly?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2012, 11:36:11 AM

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2012, 11:29:08 AM

Meh - that was only true if you were a serious raider.  I found levelling in WoW much more entertaining than being at max level.

:boggle:

Well, duh. If you didn't enjoy the end game content, then yes, you would not be entertained by being at end game. Thank you Mr. Obvious!

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2012, 11:36:11 AM

So I heard, I took my time getting to max level then as well, once I got there MC was just that start of raiding. Which is why I am content to take my time right now. I have little doubt that SW will eventually get a lot more "end game" content.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2012, 12:17:25 PM

Well, duh. If you didn't enjoy the end game content, then yes, you would not be entertained by being at end game. Thank you Mr. Obvious!

It was the comment that "the game didn't start until max level" that was silly.

Nonsense.

There was a very fine game in levelling your character.  The game then changed once you hit max level.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2012, 12:21:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2012, 12:17:25 PM

It was the comment that "the game didn't start until max level" that was silly.

Nonsense.

There was a very fine game in levelling your character.  The game then changed once you hit max level.

The comment is not silly at all once you reach max level and start raiding or doing end game PvP. Then you realize rather quickly that all the stuff that came before doesn't apply at all. Which is why people who roll new characters to raid with are looking to blast through leveling as fast as possible. Because it simple does not matter once you start the gearing game and PvP. You can arrive at level 60 naked and it makes no difference.

For people who DO like end game content, yes, WoW definitely starts at max level. It is ok - that doesn't mean anything to those who do not like to raid, nor is it a slam on you or anything like that. You are arguing about something you admit you know zero about though - why?

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

BB, I think what Berkut is trying to say, in his own frenetic way, is that WoW has two games in it, not just one morphing into another.