Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2011, 02:40:53 PM
Priggishness, vulgarity and social climbing.

Seems we use the word virture differently, you and I.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 02:38:12 PM
Bourgeois virtues are sobriety, thrift, and the accumulation of wealth.
:blink:

Those are their virtues?  I would hate to see their list of faults.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Yeah, I don't see it being a positive term.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2011, 02:43:06 PM

Those are their virtues?  I would hate to see their list of faults.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
You also asked me how I could make claims to be. Between those two instances, it sounded like you were saying it would be a step up for both of us.

Do you not have a definition?

You could not claim to be for all the reasons JR has already mentioned.  No value judgment - simply fact.  That does not phase you because you deny you have any wish to be cultured enough to have such a designation.  Marti on the other hand posts in such a way that indicates a craving for such recognition.

Its neither positive nor negative.  It simply is.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 02:45:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
You also asked me how I could make claims to be. Between those two instances, it sounded like you were saying it would be a step up for both of us.

Do you not have a definition?

You could not claim to be for all the reasons JR has already mentioned.  No value judgment - simply fact.  That does not phase you because you deny you have any wish to be cultured enough to have such a designation.  Marti on the other hand posts in such a way that indicates a craving for such recognition.

Its neither positive nor negative.  It simply is.

Okay - remind me never to ask you for a definition again. :blink:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:24:21 AMAlthough, perhaps the three of you have a positive view of the bourgeois.

Not particularly. It is however kind of funny that you - otherwise blatant in your bourgeois affectations - apparently do not.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2011, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 11:24:21 AMAlthough, perhaps the three of you have a positive view of the bourgeois.

Not particularly. It is however kind of funny that you - otherwise blatant in your bourgeois affectations - apparently do not.

Really? Why would anyone ever be positive about a negative label that they often play into?  Usually it is hipsters who complain about hipsters.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 02:51:12 PMReally? Why would anyone ever be positive about a negative label that they often play into?  Usually it is hipsters who complain about hipsters.

It's funny because in your eternal quest to project that you have attained your social aspirations (being above the lower classes) you are exactly embodying the negative qualities of the bourgeoisie (as per Sheilbh) without achieving any of that class's redeeming qualities.

That you reject the label is just another layer of irony, showing how apparently insecure you are in your affectations of class and taste.

Ideologue

I take back what I said about Jacob being nice the other day. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 03:06:13 PM
I take back what I said about Jacob being nice the other day. :lol:
I don't take back what I said about Jacob in response to that.  :lol:

crazy canuck

Sure, when he goes at it with me he is nice.  When he eviscerates Garbon all of a sudden he isnt nice.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?