Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2011, 03:04:27 PM
It's funny because in your eternal quest to project that you have attained your social aspirations (being above the lower classes) you are exactly embodying the negative qualities of the bourgeoisie (as per Sheilbh) without achieving any of that class's redeeming qualities.

Do give me credit. Why would it be my aspiration to be above the lower class, considering that I was born in a comfortably middle class family? :huh:

And then to the rest of that - not really sure how you have a good vantage point on that. :)

Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2011, 03:04:27 PM
That you reject the label is just another layer of irony, showing how apparently insecure you are in your affectations of class and taste.

I don't think I rejected the label in my post - other than pointing out that people typically try to distance themselves from negative labels even if they embody those labels. Comprende?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 03:08:32 PM
Sure, when he goes at it with me he is nice.  When he eviscerates Garbon all of a sudden he isnt nice.

I think he's going to try harder if he wants me to feel eviscerated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 03:15:37 PM
Sure, when he goes at it with me he is nice.  When he eviscerates Garbon all of a sudden he isnt nice.

Its an objective not a subjective test and we the people of Languish find the test has been met.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 03:17:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 03:15:37 PM

Its an objective not a subjective test and we the people of Languish find the test has been met.

Okay. Have fun. :)

Barrister

A slightly amusing counter-point to the 99% movement:

the "We are the 53%" (of Americans who actually pay income tax):

http://the53.tumblr.com/

Now counter-slogans rarely have the resonance of the original, and of course there are only 6 pictures posted, but I thought it was amusing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

People are starting to put up spoofs and troll pics on the actual 99% site too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2011, 03:45:47 PM

Now counter-slogans rarely have the resonance of the original, and of course there are only 6 pictures posted, but I thought it was amusing.

You know what's kind of hilarious?  Even if that number's true, it doesn't exactly argue against leftism.  (It also isn't 53% of the labor force.  I guess they expect children to pay taxes.  This is why we need camps.  I'd call them "reeducation," but that assumes the American right was ever educated in the first place.  Besides, that wouldn't exactly be truth in advertising.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 03:56:36 PM
  Besides, that wouldn't exactly be truth in advertising.

So you are coming around to the proposition that California cannot say it produces Champagne.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2011, 03:45:47 PM

You know what's kind of hilarious?  Even if that number's true, it doesn't exactly argue against leftism.  (It also isn't 53% of the labor force.  I guess they expect children to pay taxes.  This is why we need camps.  I'd call them "reeducation," but that assumes the American right was ever educated in the first place.  Besides, that wouldn't exactly be truth in advertising.)

It's actually 53% of households, so it doesn't include children (but does include retirees).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 03:58:24 PM
  Besides, that wouldn't exactly be truth in advertising.

So you are coming around to the proposition that California cannot say it produces Champagne.
:lol:
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Heh, on a website where a thread started with a discussion of an anti-poverty demonstration and ended with a riff on the proper labelling of fine wines, I'm willing to bet that the majority of participants are members of the bourgeoisie.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2011, 04:00:10 PM
It's actually 53% of households, so it doesn't include children (but does include retirees).

But does presumably also leave out double income households in which one of the spouses does not pay any income tax.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 12, 2011, 04:09:47 PM
Heh, on a website where a thread started with a discussion of an anti-poverty demonstration and ended with a riff on the proper labelling of fine wines, I'm willing to bet that the majority of participants are members of the bourgeoisie.  :D

:mad: Define your terms