Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 12, 2011, 04:09:47 PM
Heh, on a website where a thread started with a discussion of an anti-poverty demonstration and ended with a riff on the proper labelling of fine wines, I'm willing to bet that the majority of participants are members of the bourgeoisie.  :D

:mad: Define your terms

You're so silly. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2011, 03:45:47 PM
A slightly amusing counter-point to the 99% movement:

the "We are the 53%" (of Americans who actually pay income tax):

http://the53.tumblr.com/

Now counter-slogans rarely have the resonance of the original, and of course there are only 6 pictures posted, but I thought it was amusing.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

I think the most correct description of garbon would be bourgeois who thinks he is la boheme.

That blue hair dye was probably bought with his parents' money.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
I think the most correct description of garbon would be bourgeois who thinks he is la boheme.

I don't think that's what I think about myself. :D

Actually the hair dye was out of my own cash as I'd already had a couple part time jobs before I first dyed my hair blue.  But my mother was paying my food, schooling and lodging at that time. So mixed bag. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 04:38:27 PM

Actually the hair dye was out of my own cash as I'd already had a couple part time jobs before I first dyed my hair blue.

Marti is the guy who wished he had dyed his hair when young but now that he is old he can only dream of being bourgeois.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 04:40:08 PM

Actually the hair dye was out of my own cash as I'd already had a couple part time jobs before I first dyed my hair blue.

Marti is the guy who wished he had dyed his hair when young but now that he is old he can only dream of being bourgeois.

I don't know. I'm thinking in my 60s that I want to shave my head bald and then wear crazy, outlandish wigs.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 04:40:08 PM

I don't know. I'm thinking in my 60s that I want to shave my head bald and then wear crazy, outlandish wigs.

Thats because, at your age, 60 seems a long way away.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2011, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 02:38:12 PM
Bourgeois virtues are sobriety, thrift, and the accumulation of wealth.
:blink:

Priggishness, vulgarity and social climbing.
See, but you come from a society that has made adopting the traits of the working class the end-all-be-all of good behavior.  British attitudes on class warfare aren't particularily useful, as they're too self-destructive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2011, 04:45:08 PM
Thats because, at your age, 60 seems a long way away.

I think it is because I long for another time when I can be in control of my appearance. Vague notions of retirement in my 60s, although perhaps 70s make for a good pick.

Thank you though for always assuming the worst in me. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
Thank you though for always assuming the worst in me. :)

I wasnt assuming the worst.  Simply assuming that you would not be all that different when you are sixty from what you are now.  If anything it was a great compliment.  But if you wish to assume the worst that is your choice.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 12, 2011, 05:08:22 PM
I found this extremely informative today:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wall-street-protesters-are-so-angry-about-2011-10?op=1

Any thoughts on this from you educated elites?

That's nice, but it still doesn't exactly tell us what they hope to accomplish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alcibiades

Nothing is going to be accomplished, way too late for anything to ever happen with how bad the problem in this country has grown.  Washington is already bought and spoken for decades ago.   :tinfoil:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

crazy canuck

Wall street as a pretty good movie but pictures of Darryl Hanna instead of Michael Douglas would have made the piece more readable.

Admiral Yi

I found this extremely informative today:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wall-street-protesters-are-so-angry-about-2011-10?op=1

The facts are what they are.

Things don't get controversial until people start saying what, if anything, should be done about those facts.