Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 11, 2011, 04:29:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Its also an advantage to consumers who might otherwise be fooled into thinking that what they are buying is Champagne when it isnt.

Who are these consumers that are so tricked? The most common person (at least here in America) is already going to use champagne interchangeably with sparking wine (I don't really think they will actually use sparking wine as a term...but that's neither here nor there)...and they are likely to know that French champagnes are held of special regard.  Not really sure where'd they get lost as they don't really care that much about the difference - and may as some people I know - have less of an affinity for "real" Champagne.

Then you also have the connoisseurs and I'd be hard pressed to believe that said individuals would get tricked by Korbel if it started selling its product under the name champagne.
I've used the term sparkling wine to avoid this kind of conversation, which while fine enough for Languish, is entirely tedious in person.
Nothing livens up an evening like right-crossing the bitch-ass who tries to lecture you about the 'proper' use of 'champagne'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 11, 2011, 08:31:25 PM

What?  Really?  Didn't he use to be pretty left himself?

He campaigned for Ollie North.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2011, 08:39:39 PM
Nothing livens up an evening like right-crossing the bitch-ass who tries to lecture you about the 'proper' use of 'champagne'.

:lol:

I'd like to see you try... :P

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 09:04:25 PM
:lol:

I'd like to see you try... :P
You're too fucking tall.  I'd be lucky to hit you after I've been swilling champagne all evening.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on October 11, 2011, 04:29:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Its also an advantage to consumers who might otherwise be fooled into thinking that what they are buying is Champagne when it isnt.

Who are these consumers that are so tricked? The most common person (at least here in America) is already going to use champagne interchangeably with sparking wine (I don't really think they will actually use sparking wine as a term...but that's neither here nor there)...and they are likely to know that French champagnes are held of special regard.  Not really sure where'd they get lost as they don't really care that much about the difference - and may as some people I know - have less of an affinity for "real" Champagne.

Then you also have the connoisseurs and I'd be hard pressed to believe that said individuals would get tricked by Korbel if it started selling its product under the name champagne.
I've used the term sparkling wine to avoid this kind of conversation, which while fine enough for Languish, is entirely tedious in person.

True, but the Combine took away my propensity for violence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2011, 03:09:27 PM

Prosecco's like brandy for me.  It is a nice drink but the people who drink it in bars aren't.

What's wrong with brandy in bars?   :(  I like to order an E&J with a beer back.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

There are some hilarious high-culture/low-culture intersections in my drinking experience.  In Philadelphia bars at least, port was mainly consumed by poorer African-Americans.  I once saw a guy come out of the state store with a fifth of Taylor port, pour it into a 7-11 Super Big Gulp full of ice, put the top on, and slurp his way down the street.   :showoff:  And sherry was just for the down-and-outers.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

The average Penna. state store was also a wine aficionado's nightmare; the White Zinfandel section was easily the size of all the other wines combined.  Actually between White Zin and the 7000 iterations of 8$/fifth vodka, there was barely any shelf space left.

Ideologue

That's way too much for cheap vodka.  It's like $10 a half-gallon here.
Kinemalogue

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 08:35:03 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 08:22:28 PM
Ugh, those Barefoot wines taste like swill to me.
And I'm the type who always buys and enjoys $10 wines.

I didn't buy it for the taste. :D

I should hope not -_-

Quote from: Ideologue on October 11, 2011, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 08:21:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2011, 05:39:54 PM
What the hell? Last time I was there it was full of whiny Europeans.

That changed after 2008, when Stonewall embraced Glenn Beck and chased off all the lefties and moderates.

What?  Really?  Didn't he use to be pretty left himself?

Not very left, but more than the average Republican. Don't know what happened - I was somewhat surprised myself when he supported Beck in some thread there last year or so.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

I mean, you kind of have to go crazy to go Beck.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 11:37:34 PM

Not very left, but more than the average Republican. Don't know what happened - I was somewhat surprised myself when he supported Beck in some thread there last year or so.

Elaborate.  Stonewall, pissed me off back in 2004 when supported the swift boat thing, which I felt was beneath him.  He and Dark Knight were posting stuff about that left and right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 03:02:04 PM
I have to put up with snobs who protest when I say I'm drinking champagne. -_-

Although I prefer Gloria Ferrer to Korbel. :secret:

Your GUB card is now officially revoked.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2011, 08:57:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 03:02:04 PM
I have to put up with snobs who protest when I say I'm drinking champagne. -_-

Although I prefer Gloria Ferrer to Korbel. :secret:

Your GUB card is now officially revoked.

I've no idea what that is but from connotation it seems like something Mart would be, not me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.