Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 11, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
EUOT occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about the best way to re-distribute rich peoples' money. Languish occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about commercial use of the word "champagne" and the relative merits of high-quality sparkling wines.

:D

We have a one track mind.

DGuller

There is something to the Paradox method of moderation.  Forums like this wouldn't exist without it.

HisMajestyBOB

EUOT occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about the best way to re-distribute rich peoples' money. Languish occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about commercial use of the word "champagne" and the relative merits of high-quality sparkling wines.

Are the forums still filled with Glenn Beck worshiping Tea Partiers? Because I would have expected that thread to degenerate into another discussion of the merits of "free banking" and the gold standard.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

What the hell? Last time I was there it was full of whiny Europeans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM
That's how "genericization" works - originally the term (say "kleenex") was unique; then it comes in to general usage to designate a type of product rather than a specific product.

It seems like this argument is where you've organized your final redoubt, but I would remind you again that making the argument presumes the parallel to trademark and thus in essence, gives up the game (protected designations of origin) while arguing one play ("champagne").

Don't know the Canadian practice on this but in the US genericization is actually more difficult to establish than you seem to think.  For example, you mention Xerox, but Xerox in fact maintains a trademark in the US and while the matter has yet to be tested, many commentators believe the company would ultimately prevail - the same is true for Google ('googling") or even Band-Aid (hence the ads with "Band-Aid Brand").  A key part of the inquiry is what efforts the mark holder made to protect against genericization, which if applied via analogy to Champagne, would suggest a favorable outcome for the Champagne producers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2011, 03:28:08 PM
you can have champagne, but stay away from port :ultra:

The Australians don't but at least they make pretty good knock-offs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grinning_Colossus

We are the: 1% :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 11, 2011, 05:52:48 PM

We are the: 1% :(

Yay!

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

In honor of Americans acting badly, I bought this today. It says champagne and california! :o

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 05:37:42 PM

Are the forums still filled with Glenn Beck worshiping Tea Partiers? Because I would have expected that thread to degenerate into another discussion of the merits of "free banking" and the gold standard.

There's like half a dozen of them.  Curiously two were Americans living in China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2011, 05:39:54 PM

That changed after 2008, when Stonewall embraced Glenn Beck and chased off all the lefties and moderates.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 08:13:38 PM
In honor of Americans acting badly, I bought this today. It says champagne and california! :o

Ugh, those Barefoot wines taste like swill to me.
And I'm the type who always buys and enjoys $10 wines.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 08:21:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 11, 2011, 05:39:54 PM

That changed after 2008, when Stonewall embraced Glenn Beck and chased off all the lefties and moderates.

What?  Really?  Didn't he use to be pretty left himself?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 11, 2011, 08:22:28 PM
Ugh, those Barefoot wines taste like swill to me.
And I'm the type who always buys and enjoys $10 wines.

I didn't buy it for the taste. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.