Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2011, 01:16:14 PM
What's a Bellini? :huh:
Sparkling white wine and pureed fruit.  In my experience the inevitable start of the abyss that is serving a hen party :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2011, 01:16:58 PM
Russia has no quality wine industry to speak of, and Canada just has the niche icewines in southern Ontario, and so there is no incentive to extend reciprocal treatment.  As a matter of national policy, this is sensible enough, but to try to concoct a position of principle out of that policy choice is another matter.

:yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
Who goes to Macaroni Grill? :x

I'd rather have Stouffer's lasagna or homemade spaghetti.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2011, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 12:45:28 PMChampagne is the name of a product, not simply a variation on a product, just as much as "hamburger" or "bologna".
Champagne's a white wine from the Champagne region, that ferments in bottle (unlike other sparkling wines, to the best of my knowledge) and is only from a list of permitted grapes.  I don't think you could get much more specific.  The name's been associated with that specific type of wine - and with the houses that produce it - for far longer than it's been a 'generic' product.

As far as I can see it's only a generic product for Russians, certain Canadians and some Americans.

And baloney, or bolognia, has been made in the Bolognia region probably for longer than there has been an America.   ;)

Point is it is now, in this day and age, a genericized term in a goodly portion of the world ("only" North America and Russia?  :lol:).

That's how "genericization" works - originally the term (say "kleenex") was unique; then it comes in to general usage to designate a type of product rather than a specific product.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2011, 01:16:58 PM
Champagne's a white wine from the Champagne region, that ferments in bottle (unlike other sparkling wines, to the best of my knowledge)

Not entirely true - there are many non-Champagnes that use the methode champenoise (and there are many that do not).

But otherwise, I agree with the point.

QuoteAs far as I can see it's only a generic product for Russians, certain Canadians and some Americans.

The US example I think is illustrative.  US wine labelling has always been carefully regulated; why then did the US authorities permit what seems like the misleading practice of calling a wine "Burgundy" that bears no resemblance to an actual burgundy, including the varietals used?  For the same reason the Chinese for many reasons permitted rampant DVD piracy - to protect the interests of a weak domestic industry.

But fast forward several decaded to the point where the US wine industry has made many gains qualititatively and quantitatively, and those same rules start to look inconvenient.  Now the US has names to protect - regional names like Napa and Sonoma, and even more specific designations (AVAs) like Howell Mountain or Russian River.  So the US cut a deal with the EU to give greater protection to designations of geographic origin.

Russia has no quality wine industry to speak of, and Canada just has the niche icewines in southern Ontario, and so there is no incentive to extend reciprocal treatment.  As a matter of national policy, this is sensible enough, but to try to concoct a position of principle out of that policy choice is another matter.

Is it worth pointing out that no-one would know what "Howell Mountain" is if used as a designation for a generic product, so it is not in the same position as "champagne"?

"Pass me some Howell mountain" just doesn't have the same meaning as "pass me some champagne".

The notion that the genericization of the term was the result of deliberate policy choice does not hold water. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

As far as I can see it's only a generic product for Russians, certain Canadians and some Americans.

Dont count Neil as one of us.  He is a self proclaimed ethnic Albertan.  That tells you all you really have to know about him.

Malthus is just playing mental gymnastics.  I would bet my house he would never confuse Champagne with Prosecco.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM
That's how "genericization" works - originally the term (say "kleenex") was unique; then it comes in to general usage to designate a type of product rather than a specific product.

Sure when it comes to general usage but last I checked facial tissue from companies other than Kleenex cannot sell their product labeled 'Kleenex' since it is a trademark violation.  I mean does it really matter if the label on the bottle says 'sparking wine' instead of champagne?  We all know what it is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2011, 02:26:58 PM

Sure when it comes to general usage but last I checked facial tissue from companies other than Kleenex cannot sell their product labeled 'Kleenex' since it is a trademark violation.  I mean does it really matter if the label on the bottle says 'sparking wine' instead of champagne?  We all know what it is.

It's a competitive advantage for the seller if one class of growers can label it Champagne and the others can't.

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on October 11, 2011, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2011, 02:26:58 PM

It's a competitive advantage for the seller if one class of growers can label it Champagne and the others can't.

Its also an advantage to consumers who might otherwise be fooled into thinking that what they are buying is Champagne when it isnt.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 12:45:28 PMChampagne is the name of a product, not simply a variation on a product, just as much as "hamburger" or "bologna".
Champagne's a white wine from the Champagne region, that ferments in bottle (unlike other sparkling wines, to the best of my knowledge) and is only from a list of permitted grapes.  I don't think you could get much more specific.  The name's been associated with that specific type of wine - and with the houses that produce it - for far longer than it's been a 'generic' product.

And baloney, or bolognia, has been made in the Bolognia region probably for longer than there has been an America.   ;)

Point is it is now, in this day and age, a genericized term in a goodly portion of the world ("only" North America and Russia?  :lol:).

In Russia, bologna or what passes for bologna is called "Doctor's sausage". :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on October 11, 2011, 02:31:29 PM

Well duh it is being done for the benefit of producers.  But I have never noticed anybody care, at least over here, that the champagne we were drinking was labelled sparkling wine.  We all know what Champagne looks like.  Price and taste are generally the guideline.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."