Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Champagne is not a generic term for sparkling wines over here though  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 08:58:48 AM
Is there anything more 'let them eat cake' than a thread about poverty protesting becomming a thread about wine snobbery?

'Let them appreciate fine authentic vintages'.  :P

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 10:32:08 AM
As in, you can't artificially through legal process make a name "non-generic" once it has already become generic.

Why not?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2011, 10:43:03 AM
As in, you can't artificially through legal process make a name "non-generic" once it has already become generic.

Why not?

It reminds me of having an institution that determines what words are allowed in a language.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 10:27:29 AM
".

The problem with this "geographical origin" protection is that it makes no sense when terms of geographical origin have become common use for a product. What's next, prosecuting people for selling hamburgers that were not made in Hamburg, Germany?  :D

The culling of Guernsey cattle not actually born on Guernsey.  And the extermination of all Canaries that don't live in Spain and restricted use of Americium outside the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 09:48:02 AM
:huh:  Actually, I would say that even more expensive wines rarely taste great, and are very inconsistent.  I have a bottle in my fridge right now, and I swear that it tasted very differently a month ago than it does now.

This is a troll?  right?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 10:53:11 AM

Why not?

It reminds me of having an institution that determines what words are allowed in a language.

and your position reminds me of an institution charged with ensuring words lose their meaning...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 11, 2011, 10:36:41 AM

Until Garbon suggested such a thing I didnt know Champagne was used a generic term either.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 10:58:27 AM
:huh:  Actually, I would say that even more expensive wines rarely taste great, and are very inconsistent.  I have a bottle in my fridge right now, and I swear that it tasted very differently a month ago than it does now.

This is a troll?  right?

He's a Russian.  What do you want?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

I think the problem is the bottle. I've found bottles don't preserve the wine as well as boxes.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 11:00:24 AM

Until Garbon suggested such a thing I didnt know Champagne was used a generic term either.
It's a generic term in Russian.  It's common to refer to Soviet champagne or Italian champagne.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 11:00:24 AM

It's a generic term in Russian.  It's common to refer to Soviet champagne or Italian champagne.

You mean people in Russia really do call Prosecco Champagne?  Well I think you have done a great service in undermining Garbon's argument.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on October 11, 2011, 11:01:28 AM
I think the problem is the bottle. I've found bottles don't preserve the wine as well as boxes.
I don't think boxed wine is much better.  I tried Franzia wine, and it seems to go bad within seconds of opening.

The Minsky Moment

The basic problem here is humpty-dumptism.

No, I mean I think we are going around in circles as in I already responded to that same point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 10:53:11 AM

Why not?

and your position reminds me of an institution charged with ensuring words lose their meaning...

Nah, I recognize that the meaning of words change over time. I'm not trying to ossify a particular historical moment.